De-caf soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I drink exactly zero anything with caffiene in it. No tea, no soda, no coffee, but have the kegging set-up, So I was wondering if anybody knows if you can make your own de-caf?

I know you can go buy CF Mt Dew, tea, coffee, CF Dr Pepper and all that now, but I can't find them regularly where I shop.

Any ideas?

thanks
zac

Does root beer have caffeine? I don't see it on the ingredient list on the label. I make ginger ale, which is just ginger, sugar, lemon, so no caffeine there either. You can buy the Sprecher syrup for cream soda and orange soda, but it's expensive- around $20 for a gallon that makes 5 gallons. They may have some caffeine free colas, but I don't recall if I've ever seen one.

As far as I know, most of the concentrate where you add your own sugar is caffeine free, unless you add it (you can get it as a powder from certain health/drug stores).

Yooper, I know Mug makes a caffiene free version, never really saw it advertised as such, but every now and again you will see "No Caffiene" on the tap hadles. Never saw it in cans or bottles, but I admit, I've never looked. Got any links to share for the syrup? Total cola nooB here.

bsay, Never thought of this, but do they add caffiene to soda? I don't have any in the house, so I can't check for myself! I've heard of adding vivran tablets to beer for a pick me up, but do "they" add caffiene to cola?

It amazes me the things I don't think of, or didn't know were!

Off to learn more about soda making. Bet I could float a keg of it in under 3 years at the rate I drink Sprite right now!

Wouldn't it be cool to keg up rum & coke?

Ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

How long does a keg of soda last? I can't imagine it'd go "flat"...but you know, gotta get one more nooB question in.

thanks ya'll
Zac

I just buy grocery store root beer extract (it's in with the spices) and some malto-dextrine. It's about a tablespoon of extract per gallon, along with some sugar and water. That's it. My son actually makes it while I just do all the sanitizing, kegging, carbonated, etc.

I saw some soda extracts here: NORTHERN BREWER: Soda Extracts

I've never used them. When I have kegged soda, it was at like 30 psi, so you need a really, really long line. I used about 30 feet, I think. I found some food grade tubing at McMaster Carr that was about $.10/foot or so, so it worked just fine.

Yooper, Thanks a million. I'll remember about the super long beer line. I've never seen the root beer extract, but I've never looked either.

David: That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Now to find any empty keg.. I know I've got one here somewhere.....

Zac

Latest posts

Back