Tony's Winter Salsa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
This is an alternate version of my garden salsa I make during the summer substituting grocery store bought vegetables instead of the normal fresh from the garden vegetables.

5lbs Roma Tomatoes
2 Orange Peppers
3 Limes
1 Red Onion
~6 Serrano Peppers
1 piece off of a bulb of garlic
Big bunch of cilantro
1 generous tablespoon of sea salt
Thelineup.jpg

-Slice and chop tomatoes and put in the biggest bowl you can find.
-Chop orange peppers and cilantro and add to bowl.
-Peel and quarter the red onion (If it is a HUGE onion I remove the center bulb and use it later for other cooking purposes) then chop/dice to texture and add to bowl.
-Quarter the limes and firmly squeeze the juice out of them (even a little pulp from the limes doesn’t hurt)
-Dice 3 Serrano peppers and add to bowl, seeds and all.
-Cut remaining Serrano peppers lengthwise, thumb out the seeds and rinse with cool water, dice and add to bowl.
-Smash and dice garlic, add to bowl.
Premix.jpg

-WASH HANDS SUPER GOOD then use them to mix the contents together.
-Sprinkle the sea salt over the contents of the entire contents of the bowl, and mix with hands again.
postmix.jpg

I always refrigerate my salsa overnight and then mix again the next day with a spoon or whatever, personally I think all the flavors and heat come out a lot better after a day or two.

You can add more or less of the Serrano pepper seeds to get the heat you like, I just use half because its a happy medium for everyone.

The total cost for everything came to about $16 USD, which isn’t bad considering the quantity and tastiness. I've seen pints of commercial salsa and dip go for $5 or more and this goes a LONG way.

That is very similar to a fresh salsa I make based off one I had while in Guatemala. The Orange peppers are the only thing not in there, and the peppers were some local chile which I can't recall what they were. I use whatever is available. Pretty much everything else is the same though. Some folks don't like the high water content when you add the salt, but I do. :)

Personally I like it a little more watery because towards the end I use the remaining juices to soak chicken breasts in before I throw them on the grill! MMmmm.

Oh man you are killing me, I am about to walk out the door to get some stuff to make salsa. Damn.

Those are some of the best looking winter tomatoes I've seen in a while, other than the hydroponic ones.

You've inspired me as well. I need to go make some.

Yep. Lasted 2 nights. I used the hydroponic tomatoes since the romas were nasty looking. I improvised and added some black beans.

Back