hangovers-homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thought is that homebrew tends to be higher in ABV, so you drink less than you would a BMC. You drink a lot of BMC, so you are flushing nutrients out of your body faster and not putting anything in to replace it. A lack of nutrients in the body definitely adds to a hangover. Homebrew, even if you drank a lot, has more nutrients in it, so that may also help to curb a hangover.

I love these home brew hangover threads... mostly I just dont go off the deep end like when I was young and dumb. but also homebrew is more filling. I do still still get a good buzzzzz and drink to much at times. But I have never felt bad the next day. it must be the love I put into every brew.:fro:

I second that.. I usually try to limit my intake too two beers. On the rare ocassion I induldge with friends I have noticed I have a slight headache in the morning, but nothing like I used to get when I was younger and dumber.. I don't attribute that to anything but being smarter with old age and knowing my limits.
I don't want to tell myself anything else for fear I turn into a drunkard. :)

it seems like the homebrews are simply weaker. I don't know this for a fact, but so far, (probably because of my inexperience), they are less carbonated, and don't seem to have the immediate "buzz" impact that commercial beers do.

Just an initial reaction, though.:drunk:

Egads man.... Maybe you should have said "my home brew is weak". I personally made beers above 7% alcohol 3 out of 4 times. I made Ipas, IIPAs, barley wines, etc.

You need better recipes, braugh

Wow, this thread was dug up from dead! But, what the hell, I'll throw my two cents in... I don't get a hangover, but I sure got dunlop disease really bad from drinking homebrew.:D

Homebrew makes me feel groggy in the morning, and I dont get the initial buzz I do from BMC, but BMC makes me feel like smacked ass in the morning!

it seems like the homebrews are simply weaker. I don't know this for a fact, but so far, (probably because of my inexperience), they are less carbonated, and don't seem to have the immediate "buzz" impact that commercial beers do.

Just the opposite for me. My beers give me a nice buzz and very little after effect the next morning. If I drink a sixer of Coors all I do is pee all night and Shyt all morning. Not to mention the headache and stuffed up head.

Enjoyed feedback on brewing temp.
Been getting TERRIBLE hangovers after brewing 50+ gallons at 70°-80°.
Will get back after brewing at 60-70°

Don't know about that. Almost all my homebrews are above 6%. My German Imperial IPA is 8.8. No hangover there as one or two put me to sleep pretty fast. :drunk:

It's probably just psychosomatic but I agree with the OP - I feel I'm more likely to get a hangover from my home brews, but that's because I always make them stronger than commercial beers.

Latest posts

Back