BYO's "BYO U" article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Read this last night.
Been brewing since 99, started with a Mr. Beer kit. Tasted terrible, tried another. ditto. luckily at that time had a LHBS in Minneola? I forget now. Bought TNCJOHB and read it, then made some great homebrews with advice from LHBS owner. From there I migrated to a 5 gal extract setup, and dabbled with a min mash, then took the leap to all grain.

So, in reading this article, I did read a few things that struck me as possibly wrong. Wanted to get some feedback to see if I am alone.

For starters, the time-frame that you should be using your ingredients seems to be concerning to me. It says un-milled malt starts to turn stale in 8 months, and milled grains should be used ASAP. This seems to strange to me.
I would think unmilled grains should last far longer. I don't know if storage conditions greatly affect the "stale-ing" process or not (I suspect not greatly), but I have brewed great beers with un-milled base malts over a year old.
Also the article briefly discusses sparging and pH and SG measurements. To me, this also seems to be unnecessary with my equipment, as I generally only sparge with the same volume of water as my mash to collect no more than 12 gallons ( for batch of 11 gallons of beer which ususally is close to 10 gallons of drinkable packaged beer discounting the trub and measurement losses etc that occur prior to this). I do not want to obtain an excessively large amount of wort so as to necessitate an extended boil to hit my target volume.
Lastly, there is discussion of affordable dissolved oxygen measuring equipment. also seems unnecessary to me.

Overall, I thought the article was well written, approachable and easy to understand with several tidbits and pearls that would be helpful to many homebrewers. There were a few things I learned as well, and thought might be a nice read for most of us.

Again though, just wanted to see if there are others in strong agreement with the lifespan of malt before it goes stale. Also to inquire how many of us are trying to maximize efficiency and are measuring the sparge runoff? I might occasionally taste it toward the end to see if starting to turn astringent, but have never tasted any of this. And is anyone really using DO meters as briefly discussed, other than professional brewers?

TD

For starters, the time-frame that you should be using your ingredients seems to be concerning to me. It says un-milled malt starts to turn stale in 8 months, and milled grains should be used ASAP. This seems to strange to me.
I would think unmilled grains should last far longer. I don't know if storage conditions greatly affect the "stale-ing" process or not (I suspect not greatly), but I have brewed great beers with un-milled base malts over a year old.

Storage conditions do play a part for sure. Vacuum-sealed unmilled malt stored in cool conditions will last much longer than malt stored in an open bin in warm conditions. I don't have the article in front of me, so I don't know if they discuss that or not.

They did not specifically discuss that.

I had recently been on a brewing haitus. I have some 2 yr old malt, sat for a while in garage in partially sealed but not airtight bins, then moved to airtight bins.
Still in fl garage temps 70-90s . Recently moved to indoor area, t stat set to 75 but often cooler. I will need to taste it before I brew.

All my specialty grain, which I suspect has longer shelf life at least for the roasted malts. All mine I pitched along with the old hops. The specialty malt was infested with Indian meal flies, I think they are called. These look like tiny moths and have a larval stage. They can eat through plastic poly bags I had my specialty malts stored in..

Anyway, not trying to discuss proper malt storage, but gonna taste my base malt to make sure it's not stale. Not quite sure what stale malt might taste like though.

The article did indeed int out a few things that i hadn't heard before, and was a very well written series of mini articles of different aspects of brewing.

TD

Back