Carbing a Keg from a Fermenting Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
OK!

Imagine hooking a gas to gas high pressure line from the gas post of a fermenting batch, to a keg that needs to be carbed.

OR to 2 kegs to carb.

Or to 5 kegs to serve.

anyone know how many volumes fermentation produces? could check valves at a couple of places keep the fermenting wort at say 15PSI and the rest at 13PSI?

This sounds environmental, time saving, and $$$ saving.

I have no where near the know-how to put it together.

The fermenting keg would need to be outside of the serving keezer.

That is an interesting idea, not sure if it would produce enough pressure.

That is an interesting idea, not sure if it would produce enough pressure.

I figured that my amber ale was about done fermenting, so I sealed it up hoping to get it to carb a little. It turned into pure foam that had to be decanted and allowed to go flat before it could be carbed to a sane level.

the pressure BLEW foam straight throug a closed picnic tap like it wasn't even there.

Pressure? pretty sure it would do the job for at least one keg.

HELL!!!!!!!!! AN IPA might impart a ton of flavor and aroma to another beer!!!

I iz a genius.

WOW I would have never guessed that. So what you have done is taken a newly brewed unfermented beer, put it into a keg with a gas line to another keg of beer, that is full fermented, thus carbing the finished beer. That is cool. Plus one on that.

You'd need a spunding valve on the receiving keg, and the receiving keg would need to be stored cold, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might impart some nasty flavors to the beer being carbonated if you try this during the peak of fermentation. Some fermentations smell like rhino farts during the peak of fermentation, and I'm not sure I'd want to use that to carb a beer.

Why not just use a spunding valve, ferment in a keg under light pressure, and when fermentation is nearly complete adjust the spunding valve to ~30psi and allow the remaining fermentation to carbonate the beer? This way the sulfur and other nasty stuff produced during the most active parts of fermentation can escape, and the CO2 used to carbonate is relatively clean. I've tried this a couple times, and it works well enough.

You'd need a spunding valve on the receiving keg, and the receiving keg would need to be stored cold, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might impart some nasty flavors to the beer being carbonated if you try this during the peak of fermentation. Some fermentations smell like rhino farts during the peak of fermentation, and I'm not sure I'd want to use that to carb a beer.

Why not just use a spunding valve, ferment in a keg under light pressure, and when fermentation is nearly complete adjust the spunding valve to ~30psi and allow the remaining fermentation to carbonate the beer? This way the sulfur and other nasty stuff produced during the most active parts of fermentation can escape, and the CO2 used to carbonate is relatively clean. I've tried this a couple times, and it works well enough.

This is the kind of info I need!

I fully intend to implement a linkage to pass through the wall of the keezer.

For serving, a gas guage could keep the incoming at 13 PSI (or whatever)

Thanks! Initial fermentation of an IPA smells like heaven, so I am most excited about "Dry hopping" with this method.

Where does CO2 come from commercially??

My fermenting amber HAS to smell better than the inside of some industrial tank intended to supply welders who don't give a crap what else is in it.

"That's just crazy enough to work!"

(Cool! I almost never get to write that in proper context! :D )

Cheers! ;)

It would never have occurred to me to do, until that fateful late closed fermentation experiment......

Twas a foggy night, and the whooperwills were..

SERIOUSLY: Late fermentation almost done. Sealed to see if it could carb itself. result was beer SO overcarbed it was almost impossible to save.

The foam shot through a closed tap like it was nothing.

TONS of CO2 from fermentation.

With the proposed method, the fermenting keg would be warm, but damned near carbed when done fermenting.

cheezydemon3 said:
My fermenting amber HAS to smell better than the inside of some industrial tank intended to supply welders who don't give a crap what else is in it.

FYI welding gases and lab/medical grade gases all come from the same tank.

Back