Filter keg beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
I've had my Northern English Ale in the keg, at 38* in the fridge, under ~12lbs CO2 for a little over a week. I purged my line and proceeded to pour. It is very lightly carbonated (no real head when dispensed) and is cloudy as all sin. Prior to kegging it had been in my conical which I periodically dumped the trub from. It had been in for 3 weeks and hydro indicated all activity had ceased. When transferred to keg is certainly appeared pretty clear.

Now maybe I've simply got the first glass that scavenged the sediment from the bottom of the keg (I'm brand new to this....) and subsequent glasses will clear up, but it looks like I'm drinking coffee!

Any benefit to a cartridge type of water filter housing/cartridge to clarify the beer just prior to carbonating? I have an extra keg so I can do a keg to keg pressure transfer. I presume the filter assemblies could handle 12lbs. Would 5 micron ok?

Also, have I not been patient enough on the carbonation time? I like a good head on my pour. I was under the impression that a week of 12lbs was enough to saturate the brew.

Thanks for the advice. I've jumped into this with two feet and my bottled beers came out very nice. I'm hoping to get to the same point with this transition to kegs.

First pint or two will have gunk in it. 2 weeks is minimum to carb that way, more like 3 weeks for full carb. Lookup "chill haze" and or "gelatin finings". Good luck.

Relax, the first pint or two will be full of gunk (I just dump 'em). One week with your method (I do the same) will give you some carbonation but it really gets good after 2-3 weeks.

FYI: When the pints start pouring crystal clear and tasting REALLY good.......the kegs about to kick! ;)

Back