Heather mead of inspiration..first mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewShark

Reaction score
So i found this recipe for the mead of inspiration in the sacred and herbal beers book and decided to tweak the recipe a bit and add about 20oz of heather tips, im going to do a 6gal batch using 2oz propolis 2oz pollen 2oz royal jelly and about 12-15lbs honey. I guess im curious about how/when to add all of the extra ingredients. Recipe says to add everything to the honey at the end of the boil and to ensure that all of the extras stay in the liquid when added to primary. Im thinking though that when i rack to secondary its gonna lose all of the heather tips and the propolis, should i stagger the additions through racking? Has anyone ever attempted this recipe? Im curious about the taste, honestly the royal jelly tastes pretty gross... Or has anyone made a heather mead, i like heather froach an thought it might be a nice floral addition to the mead is there a good method of adding the heather tips in a mesh sock or something to avoid heather pieces in the bottle? Any ideas are appreciated

I seem to recall somebody trying something similar to this recipe recently...

Heather mead post

Whole Hive Mead

I would think that you would want to loose the chunky bits by the time it comes to bottling. You could do that with the heather, nothing wrong with adding the flavourings in a "teabag" of sorts--just make sure there's enough room in the bag for the liquid to flow through.

I was eyeing the heather tips as well, when I shopping for other herbs for a mead...keep us posted on what you end up with, flavour wise.

Back