Growing Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried growing hops along a 4' tall chainlink fence? I know they like to grow tall but if it can be done successfully I have 600' of it with good sun. Thanks..

Everywhere I've looked they're sold out, so unless you're holding.....

If you have 'em, what are your options? You're looking at a $5/rhizome investment. I say go for it. If they take you can always move them if you have to.

uhlee1 said:
Has anyone tried growing hops along a 4' tall chainlink fence? I know they like to grow tall but if it can be done successfully I have 600' of it with good sun. Thanks..
I would use the fence to support taller posts, say 6-8ft. Run a wire tight across the tops of the posts then use string from the wire to the ground to support the bines. I think the bines will do a little better it they can grow taller. I think a big reason is you can clear the lower branches of leaves to keep the bines dry and prevent mildew. At only 4ft the lower bines will remain moist increasing the chance of a mildew infection.
Craig

I think you'll be OK. You can easily train vines to grow sideways along the fence it just has a natural tendency to grow upward.

So allowing it to do what it naturally wants to do (go up) is easier. It will just take a little extra effort on you part.

Once a week or so go weave the new growth along the fence and a you can easily do that when you water.

olllllo said:
Everywhere I've looked they're sold out, so unless you're holding.....

If you have 'em, what are your options? You're looking at a $5/rhizome investment. I say go for it. If they take you can always move them if you have to.

http://www.freshops.com/ doesn't seem to have any issues with stock posted on their site. I've not heard that mine (ordered a week ago) won't be showing up. (In fact, are probably in my mailbox)

- Thursday Update. They were in the mailbox. Looking nice, starting to sprout. They'll go in the ground this weekend! :)

Of course, the one that I want the most hops from this year is the smaller rhizome. Probably doesn't matter, but I'd have preferred the Willamette to be bigger than the Galena rootstock. :D

butler1850 said:
http://www.freshops.com/ doesn't seem to have any issues with stock posted on their site. I've not heard that mine (ordered a week ago) won't be showing up. (In fact, are probably in my mailbox)

- Thursday Update. They were in the mailbox. Looking nice, starting to sprout. They'll go in the ground this weekend! :)

Of course, the one that I want the most hops from this year is the smaller rhizome. Probably doesn't matter, but I'd have preferred the Willamette to be bigger than the Galena rootstock. :D

amazingly, they sent my brother what seemed to be Jumbo Galena rootstock too! the other four varieties were small, but the Galena was 3 times thier size. it sprouted first also.

I ordered 2 cascade and 2 hallertau from Midwest and planted them Sunday. I'll try them on the fence this year and if it works hooray, if not I will look into other ways. My power pole on the side of the house is looking tempting as there is some kind of vine on it now. Thanks for the replies.

:mug:

Ordered mine from http://www.freshops.com/ the first day they were available :cross:
I got what appeard to be jumbo Galenas also, and just ordered the regular rhizomes.

I have; it gets to be a pain having to keep them trained...as they constantly are reaching for the sky! I've put togther a new arbor for this year. A tripod using 20' maple sapling poles! It is quite the tower!

Back