Green bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
Trying to collect bottles as I go, shame shame I have to drink the beer!!!!....... Almost all my bottles are brown but I do have some green bottles (moosehead, dos XX). Will that make the beer "go-off" in the fridge before driniking?

Will bottle condition in the dark but I have heard about light making you beer skunky when you use green or clear bottles.

Thanks for the tips. Anxious for my first batch to be ready to bottle.

As long as you don't have a UV light turned on where you're bottle conditioning, your green bottles will be fine.

pa-in-utah said:
What about flourescent lighting? Does that have an effect?
Not sure about all the lighting particulars, PA, but the bottom line is that if you are conditioning in the dark and only exposing your green bottles to the light every once in awhile, then you will be fine. It is not something that if they had light on them for a bit all of a sudden their flavor is bad. If 95% of the time, no light, your fine.

thanks George.... Only light will be at bottling and then in the fridge (when opened of course). Since I am new, just wanted to be sure I am off on the right track. Got a good deal on Dos XX so I went with it. More bottles and change of pace on the kind of beer I am used to drinking.

George-- I seen you pics of the "mold brew" keep us posted on the bottles.

I use green Grolsch bottles almost exclusively for my homebrew. Never had a skunked beer yet. You just have to keep them out of the sunlight.

Technically, flourescent lighting does produce the wavelengths of light that will skunk beer, but in reality you need a LOT of exposure to matter.

If you just keep your beer in a generally dark place, you will be fine.

pa-in-utah said:
thanks George.... Only light will be at bottling and then in the fridge (when opened of course). Since I am new, just wanted to be sure I am off on the right track. Got a good deal on Dos XX so I went with it. More bottles and change of pace on the kind of beer I am used to drinking.

George-- I seen you pics of the "mold brew" keep us posted on the bottles.

PA, you are not putting the bottles in the frig right away, right? Leaving them in the closet or someplace for a few weeks to condition and carb before chilling? Just making sure that I didn't misread your post and hope I am not offending, you just mentioned that you are new to the process.

I have been doing this off and on for about 5 years or so but still a relative newbie. I just found the standard extract practice easy and stayed that way due to time and to cost. Just now getting into it more. :)

Correct George. Bottle conditioning and then into the fridge to chill for drinking.

No offense taken. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.

Back