Visiting South Georgia and Florida, Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbognerks

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm going down to Georgia this weekend to visit my Wife's family. Any good craft breweries? We'll be flying into Atlanta and driving South to Albany. Also, we will be going to the beach near Panama City for a couple days. What good local craft beer can I get in the area? :mug:

On a related note. Are there any comprehensive sources of listings for craft breweries? It would be nice to be able to find it all in one place.

BeerAdvocate's site has a feature called Beerfly which is pretty danged good for finding craft beer pretty much anywhere in the US with reviews to boot.

All I know about South Georgia is Columbus, GA, which I think will be on your way to PCB. Boo's Liquor has the best selection and prices for its size but it is small. They are recommended because they are right off of I85 and they are great people. For a bigger (read huge) selection but higher prices and less personality there is Wine and Spirits Shop of Bradley Park.

The local brewery is called The Cannon and it is in Columbus' small but very nice downtown main street. The beers are nothing special but worth getting the flight if you want to taste the local brewery scene. Their non-alcoholic Root Beer, however, is one of the best I have ever tasted. It comes on the flight.

There are several bars right around The Cannon and I would recommend The Loft. The Loft has a decent selection of taps and bottles, nothing amazing but the setting is great, the chances of catching good live music very high and the food is the best bar food in Columbus.

For food in Columbus, well, there's a few good ones but I highly recommend Chili Thai although there is nothing to speak of beer-wise there.

Finally, the Mellow Mushroom right down from Chili Thai has one of the better beer selections I've found in a MM and they staff with beer nerds. Cannot go wrong with MM for good beer and quick food.

So, there's Columbus for you, it's about the only thing that happens between Atlanta and PCB except for a tiny little town called Eufalah which isn't going to deliver any beer nirvana but there is a restaurant called the Cajun Corner that you will drive right by that cannot be beat for some decent cajun food in the area. Eufalah itself is very historic and, IINM, right around now they are doing their Pilgrimage event where all these old plantation houses are open housed and thousands of people turn out for that so you may have to stop there anyway thanks to the traffic.

As many times I went to PCB during my 14 month stay in Columbus I always brought my own beer and scuba diving was the focus so there wasn't too much surface exploration I did down there. The best beer I found was at, ahem, Mellow Mushroom but boy do they have big beer on tap there. Lots of 9%-12% beer flowing on the taps at that MM. PCB is a very nice place though and I'm certain someone can tell you where the goods are in that fine city.

Hope that helps.

If you make it to Gainesville, FL (North Central Florida), Swamphead Brewery is great. Their taproom is open Wednesday-Friday early evenings. They are cash only, but their beer is phenomenal.

IF you kick it around ATL for long you have sweetwater (popular, but i find them boring) and Red Brick (better beer, but not spectacular), if you have time to make it to Athens though, check out Terrapin. They make wonderful beers, and if you cant get them where you are, take home a sixer or two.

Oh yeah. Terrapin is one of my favorite breweries, and they make great beer. Forgot Athens was so close to ATL.

Sweetwater Brewery in Atlanta only distributes regionally, so most people have never heard of them, but they make good beer. Their brewery is an old converted factory of some sort, as well, with lots of character.

Go visit Sweetwater Brewery in Midtown, then go about 5 miles down the road to the VORTEX in Little Five Points. This place has about 200 beers in bottles and about 40 on tap, and also has the best burgers I have ever had.

Both of these places on on the Northeast side of downtown.

Latest posts

Back