Imperial Stout Russian Unorthodox Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
HUGE
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
VOID
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 to 12 @ 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks
This is the stout I sent out for Christmas. Not as hoppy as my Dark Night of the Soul RIS.

Russian Unorthodox Imperial Stout

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 36.50
Anticipated OG: 1.1111 Plato: 23.989
Anticipated SRM: 34.4
Anticipated IBU: 60 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

82.2 30.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
5.5 2.00 lbs. Carastan Malt Great Britian 1.03500 34
4.1 1.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.03000 18
2.7 1.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.02900 350
2.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.03300 150
1.4 0.50 lbs. Black Barley Malt America 1.02700 530
1.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.03400 40

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

2.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.00 55 60 min.
2.00 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 4.50 5 10 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Pellet 4.50 0 0 min.

Mash Schedule

Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 36.50
Water Qts: 45.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 11.41 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 146 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 14.33 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I am ready to do a RIS...BP, which one of yours would you recommend? I want a pretty much exact replica of the St. George's RIS--best commercial beer I've ever had.
I am sending off beer this week, your box is finally going out. <gasp!> I threw a St. George's Russian Imperial in it--want your opinion on a potential recipe. Or which of yours is closest to it. I'm thinking it will be this one.

I look forward to tasting the St. Georges. As for my recipes, I like them both, but am entering the Dark Night in the AHA. The Unorthodox is stronger and more leaned towards the malt. It does kick.

I will wait to taste the St George's and see what I think, if you can wait that long! Have you had Stones RIS? It is a seasonal (June or July) but man I think it is amazing. Of course I have not had any Stone brew I did not like.

I love the Stone RIS. I haven't had one since the last time they released it last year, but I remember it being very chocolatey. One of my favorites is North Coast's Old Rasputin. I didd the clone out of Beer Captured and it's pretty close, but not the same as the original.

Brewpastor, I'm giving this bad boy a try today. Im very excited. I had to change the hops a bit to warrier, I also upped them up a bit to make it a bit more hoppy. I will change the overall picture of this massive beer, but I like them very complex. I have a lot of water to boil down so wish me luck.

Do u hit 75% eff. with all this grain? I am hoping for 65% and than I will be happy. I upped the grain bill to overcome. If I have to add DME than I will but I am hoping I can avoid this.

Jay

Brewsmith said:
I love the Stone RIS. I haven't had one since the last time they released it last year, but I remember it being very chocolatey. One of my favorites is North Coast's Old Rasputin. I didd the clone out of Beer Captured and it's pretty close, but not the same as the original.

Brewsmith, in what way was it different vs Old Rasputin?
This is one of my favorite biers I want to duplicate in the future.

I'm planning to brew a huge stout in about two weeks and this one looks like it's right up my alley; very strong, complex, but not overly hoppy. Does anyone out there have tasting notes on this beer to help with my recipe decision? Also, if I'd like to brew this in a 5-gallon batch, is it a simple as using 50% of all the ingredients?

Hello

I just started a Half Batch of this one, but my original gravity is down at about 1.055 or so. Does anyone know what I might have done wrong to get such a low OG?

I brewed this beer back in January. Made a 5 gallon batch by halving the ingredient quantities. I'm very happy with the resulting beer. My note taking was a bit lacking for this specific brew day, but I remember that my OG came a bit lower than Brewpastor's (Around 1.102 or so). I was still optimizing my sparge process at the time.

Tasted the beer around April, and it was still kind of hot/harsh, but otherwise very solid, with a thick imperial stout body. Kept it aging until August/Sept and it cleaned up very well.

It was a little on the sweet side for my taste (FG of around 1.025), so I ended up conditioning it with a couple cayanne peppers for 3 days before carbonating. This worked nicely to balance the sweetness, and gave a bit extra complexity to the beer. The pepper heat was present, but subtle. Just a note on the back of the throat.

Thanks for sharing the recipe @Brewpastor!

Edit: I'm now down to my last 4 bottles and am placing a grain order, to start the next batch of this brew!

Back