Outdoor wedding beer line cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
I'm getting married 9/1/07 and having a reception outdoors. For the party I will be serving most likely my Belgian Wit and Chocolate Stout out of cornie kegs. I'll probably have 4 kegs, two of each beer for 150 guests. Question is, whats the best way to chill the beer without a fridge? This is my idea...

Get a large chest cooler, drill holes in the front and back for the hoses to come through. Inside the chest, run coils of copper tubing much like an immersion chiller, except its backwards here. Fill the cooler to the top with ice, and then fill it up with water. The cooler goes up on a table, lines coming in the front, and spickets come out the front. The kegs sit under the desk with a CO2 bottle for pressure.

Sound feasible? Any other ingenious ideas or is this spot on? :mug:

btw, before I get married I had to figure out a way to get my finance to let me have a keg system. Its for the wedding so **SHE** ended up buying ME a keg system!! HAHAHAHAH!!!

The words "Jockey Box" are coming to mind. :D

CB482RI.jpg

Seems like a lot of work. Why not just get a large tub and keep the cornies on ice? Those taps are going to be flowing, so having beer warm in the lines isn't going to be much of an issue.

Keep the tub, cornies and bottle under the table and run the lines up and build a simple support for your shanks.

Even if there was an oz. of warm beer in a line, adding 10-15 oz. of iced brew would do it. The ice bath does not have to be as tall as the cornies.

**SHE** ended up buying ME a keg system!!
Sounds like a good catch.

I have the exact jockeybox pictured in Trinitone's post above. The thing I like about the jockey box is that it allows me to add my tap handles for a more professional touch. If you are pouring at your wedding, you can design some special labels for the taps to commemorate the event. Also, I think it's a lot easier to add 4 bags of ice to the cooler then to fill two rubbermaid garbage cans. And as I said before, the tap presentation is much nicer than using cobra taps.

Brewtopia said:
I have the exact jockeybox pictured in Trinitone's post above. The thing I like about the jockey box is that it allows me to add my tap handles for a more professional touch. If you are pouring at your wedding, you can design some special labels for the taps to commemorate the event. Also, I think it's a lot easier to add 4 bags of ice to the cooler then to fill two rubbermaid garbage cans. And as I said before, the tap presentation is much nicer than using cobra taps.

Yeah... And there's no need to bother making it. Just add it to the list of reception expenses. :D

trinitone said:
Yeah... And there's no need to bother making it. Just add it to the list of reception expenses. :D

Nice idea. One of those could come in handy from time to time.

I think I'd want to fit the cooler with a cover of some kind. I'm not sure what the decor is going to be, but I know my SWMBO would have slit my throat for even mentioning a cooler on top of a table.

Seems like some velcro and some sort of pleated table skirt should do the trick.

rdwj said:
Nice idea. One of those could come in handy from time to time.

I think I'd want to fit the cooler with a cover of some kind. I'm not sure what the decor is going to be, but I know my SWMBO would have slit my throat for even mentioning a cooler on top of a table.

Seems like some velcro and some sort of pleated table skirt should do the trick.

If you wanted prettier, you could probably rig up some kind of setup with a draft tower up top and the jockey box down below. Sort of like a non-electric kegerator.

you don't have to use coils, you can use a cold plate. if you only want the ability to do 2 beverages, the cold plates can be found pretty cheap.

my coworker is getting married soon, and she asked me to do the beer for their wedding. i'm going to have 2 beers, 1 cider, 1 root beer, and 1-2 meads on tap for them. i bought a 6 pass cold plate off ebay for pretty cheap, and plan on making my own jockey box out of plywood, and staining the outside to make it look more presentable for a wedding environment.

pictures of the cold plate can be found here: www.pbase.com/melvinfeng/brewery and the pictures are twoards the bottom.

my uncle has something similar to this that he just puts the keg in, with ice, and installed a tap on the front.. works real nice.. and he can stand it upright.

coleman_ultimate_xtreme_wheeled_marine_b1384.gif

Back