Please help with Frozen Beer Emergency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
I got a little problem. Yesterday my roommate somehow unplugged my keezer and temp controller to play with the power strip. When she plugged them back in she plugged the controller in separately from the keezer so after a day of this, I now have frozen beers. I had 2 full kegs and 2 beers lagering that nearly froze through.

I just put in my first Oktoberfest Friday night so it hasn't lagered for a week yet.

I'm gonna try to thaw everything out and see if I can bring the yeast back to life. But if anybody thinks I should warm lagers up a lot (like 60-70) or maybe just back up to lagering temps would save it. I don't want to swing temps too much but I don't know the best way to do this. Also, should I try to expedite the process to get beer back up?

Coincidentally, if anyone sees in the news about a dead body found floating near the Gulf of Mexico, YOU NEVER SAW ME!!!

If the beer froze, it's likely the yeast is dead. Freezing will actually cause the yeast cells to fracture and splits open, so there is nothing bringing them back. If primary fermentation is over, you could be in the clear, though I don't have any experience with lagers... I would expect the stuff in the kegs should be just fine.

Depends how hard it froze, but your kegs could be damaged. Read a thread here sometime back about a keg that froze and distorted such that the lid would not seal.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. The liquid in the carboys was frozen on the outside but there was liquid slush in the middle.

As much as I know about brewing an eisbock, I already have!! But I still think I'm going to stick with the course, but I'm wondering what I'll have to do to it in the meantime.

It's back up to 45 F right now so temp is going up. I still don't know about the yeast, but my Oktoberfest was 4 days into lagering, so I don't know if I'll have to repitch or not.

Back