How to make clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot make a clear beer. But, I can tell when I have just 2 or 3 pints left in the keg as they come out crystal clear. It would seem what ever is in solution and has settled sits in the bottom of the keg and is drawn out pint after pint until finally gone?

I need some advice or suggestions.

Yeah, to me it sounds like it could be chill haze. That'll clear up if you keep the beer cold long enough. Seems like "long enough" is almost how long it takes for you to clear a keg.

Yeah, to me it sounds like it could be chill haze. That'll clear up if you keep the beer cold long enough. Seems like "long enough" is almost how long it takes for you to clear a keg.

Exactly. You either need more taps, or somewhere to cold condition kegs before they go on tap.

Chill / cold crash and add a packet of knox gelatin disolved in a pint of 170 - 180 degree water. Wait a couple of days and keg...brilliant beer.

I do use irish moss the last 15 min of the boil.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the beer to settle clear in the past but I have finally built up a supply since going to 10 gal batches. I have an Irish Ale that was kegged 11/07 and it is still not clear. It has been in the kegerator at 38F and on CO2 the entire time. I could give gelatin a try with that one and see what happens. Now that's it's carbonated, I probably shouldn't swirl it around after adding the gelatin mixture.

I switched over to Whirlfloc from Irish moss a couple of years ago. Now, ALL of my beers are crystal clear without any other finings. I've never used gelatin.

I think Whirlfloc works so much better than plain Irish moss- I'd highly recommend trying it and seeing what you think. The first time I used it, I had far more break material in my kettle, and my beers were beautifully clear from then on.

I switched over to Whirlfloc from Irish moss a couple of years ago. Now, ALL of my beers are crystal clear without any other finings. I've never used gelatin.

I think Whirlfloc works so much better than plain Irish moss- I'd highly recommend trying it and seeing what you think. The first time I used it, I had far more break material in my kettle, and my beers were beautifully clear from then on.

I will. Thanks

I switched to Whirlfloc put I still do the gelatin can't hurt anything

here is the cold break with Whirlfloc

coldbreak1.JPG

and by the time I had the other BB filled it was settling..

coldbreak.JPG

and the beer

ale.JPG

I've used this on my last two batches. One is still in the fermenter. When do you add your tablets?

I think I did 15 minutes left in boil based off package instruction but may have done at the beginning of the boil for my last one not thinking. What would that do?

I think I did 15 minutes left in boil based off package instruction but may have done at the beginning of the boil for my last one not thinking. What would that do?

don't know at worst it broke the Whirlfloc down .. but you can always crash it then add gelatin I do this on most of the beers anyway little anal about things sometimes

don't know at worst it broke the Whirlfloc down .. but you can always crash it then add gelatin I do this on most of the beers anyway little anal about things sometimes

This is what I do now and I seem to have had the most success with the three headed approach of Whirlfloc, cold condition, and gelatin.

I cannot make a clear beer. But, I can tell when I have just 2 or 3 pints left in the keg as they come out crystal clear. It would seem what ever is in solution and has settled sits in the bottom of the keg and is drawn out pint after pint until finally gone?

I need some advice or suggestions.

THANK YOU to all who helped me! I added gelatin per the instructions you gave me to the 2nd keg of an ordinary bitter ( the 1st was cloudy), and the 1st keg of an American amber and they are so, so clear I can't believe it.

I also have whirlfloc to try for my brew this weekend.

Wooooo Hoooo!

Well doesn't cold crash happen when you put the bottle in the fridge, just on a smaller scale and doesn't take as long because the sediment has less of a distance to fall?

Is the Whirlfloc and gelatin for kegging or does it work equally well when bottling? The same question for cold crashing.

All three will give you clearer beers don't matter if you bottle or keg. Gelatin works best on cold beer so cold crash for a day or two then add your gelatin let it sit a couple of more days then bottle.There will be plenty of yeast left to carb.

Why would you say no to Cold crashing greeneyed?

I guess I was misinformed by my LHBS, he told me not to crash on bottling as there may not be enough yeast left in suspension to properly carb.

10 minutes left in the boil. 1 tablet 10 gallon brews

i'm finally getting ready to finish off my packet of Moss, so whirfloc is going to be my next purchase.

1 tablet for 10g.. but is it ok to use 1 tablet for 5g, or should i just split one if half (if its possible)?

I guess I was misinformed by my LHBS, he told me not to crash on bottling as there may not be enough yeast left in suspension to properly carb.

In my experience there will be yeast left for carbonation but it will take a week longer to get decent carbonation going.

i'm finally getting ready to finish off my packet of Moss, so whirfloc is going to be my next purchase.

1 tablet for 10g.. but is it ok to use 1 tablet for 5g, or should i just split one if half (if its possible)?

I use a whole tablet for 5 gallons, but I also use a whole tablet for 10 gallons, so I assume it's ok either way! I've been doing it for about 3 years with a whole tablet for 5 gallons.

Due to my lack of a keezer/kegerator/lagering box, I am unable to cold-crash right now. However, I have found that adding 2 tsb of bentonite (yes, wine finings) to the last 10 minutes of the boil or so makes the beer incredibly clear. I know that when you add it to wine you are supposed to wait a few days/couple of weeks before racking, to make sure it's all settled out, but there is no worry about that here. Since you add it in the boil, everything settles out in primary. I've used this on all my beers for the last few months (my hefe excluded, of course!) and they've all been brilliantly clear right out of primary. I've never used gelatin before, mostly because of the fact that I have a few vegan friends who occasionally like to drink my homebrew, so I've found ways to be accommodating.

Also, in my experience, adding bentonite in no way hinders carbonation. I've had no problems with carbing my beers in the bottle, nor has my dad who's been doing this longer than I have (He was actually the one who told me about using bentonite in the first place!).

Anyone else use bentonite, or am I one of the few/only?

Even without boil kettle finings, I still get crystal clear beer. It's not that I don't have any but I ALWAYS forget. I go 3 weeks minimum in the primary, crash to 35F for 24 hours, then rack to keg. I also have my dip tubes trimmed just a bit (1/4") and let the keg cold condition for a minimum of 2 weeks on the gas. By the 2nd pour, I can read through lighter beers. I think gelatin would help move things along quicker, but impatience is a sign of a poorly planned pipeline.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde Ale yesterday and used Whirlfloc for the first time. Of course, I remembered to add it with only 5 min left in the boil so I crushed the tablet before I added it. I haven't seen such a large volume of cold break in any of my batches in a long time.

Back