Hoppy Beers - Best fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Living in Ireland and being hop head isn't easy! There are some steady available US beers such as Sam Adams, Brooklyn, Goose Island, Sierra nevada and Flying Dog. The vast majority of time if a new American beer makes it over here, it's on a short term basis, perhaps a once off shipment. For example I've enjoyed Great Divide, Rogue, Flying Dog, some good beers, but sparse in supply and they don't always return.

This has led me to make online orders once in a while from a company in the UK called Beers of Europe. Having spoken to the manager via email he informed me their selection of US beers was also very limited and usually a one off import each time, and then replaced some months, or even a year later with a different selection. My worry is, with some Stone IPA I ordered. I ordered some last Xmas and theres a very good chance that it's from the same order. Do you think there will be a big issue with hops fading?

I've tried both Victory Hop Wallop & Hop Devil in Ireland only to be a little underwhelmed. Both of these are highly rated and considered very hoppy, but I think by the time it got here perhaps the hops had faded. Whats your two cents?

Hop character fades fairly quickly, so the beers you are getting are probably past their prime. You could try rejuvenating them at the time of serving by blending them with a little bit of cold-extracted hop tea or even a very hoppy homebrewed beer, but this would definitely change the character of the commercial beer.

I don't think I'll be going to those lengths to be honest Arcane, I suppose I just have to hope for the best with them. Most of the others I ordered were added not too long ago so they should be ok...I hope!

Back