Substituting Peated for Smoked- How much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
I have a recipe that I'm basing a Smoked Porter off of and it calls for 4 oz of Peated Malt. I want to use Smoked Malt instead. After doing a search I wasn't able to find my answer so I'm posing the question.

How much should I use? 4 ounces, 8 ounces? Thanks in advance.

Not easy to do a direct sub for, they're totally different malts (and good call on 86ing the peat). 4 ounces is a fair amount of peat, if I were doing a porter that wanted a strong smoke note, you probably want at least 2, maybe 3 pounds. Depending on how aggressive the rest of the grainbill is, if you only do a pound or a pound and a half, it might well get lost.

Now, note that I'm in the camp that says you cannot use too much rauchmalt, but if it were me I'd do at least three pounds. My smoked stout had five pounds, and it was not overpowering (and it has been by far my most well-received beer, even by those who don't particularly care for smoked beers).

You mashing? Rauchmalt wants to be mashed if at all possible (minimashing is fine).

Not easy to do a direct sub for, they're totally different malts (and good call on 86ing the peat). 4 ounces is a fair amount of peat, if I were doing a porter that wanted a strong smoke note, you probably want at least 2, maybe 3 pounds. Depending on how aggressive the rest of the grainbill is, if you only do a pound or a pound and a half, it might well get lost.

Now, note that I'm in the camp that says you cannot use too much rauchmalt, but if it were me I'd do at least three pounds. My smoked stout had five pounds, and it was not overpowering (and it has been by far my most well-received beer, even by those who don't particularly care for smoked beers).

You mashing? Rauchmalt wants to be mashed if at all possible (minimashing is fine).
I felt 4 oz of the Peat was a bit much too, and my LHBS didn't have that so I didn't feel like paying $7.99 for shipping a small amount of Peated Malt.

I'm doing all-grain, so yes, I'm mashing.

If you *like* smoked beers, don't be afraid of rauchmalt. It's nowhere near as overpowering as peated malt (which I personally think is only good if used for a little aroma, not to be tasted directly). Rauchmalt is just smooth and warm, if you don't love smokiness than you'll hate it, but if you hate it you wouldn't be brewing it. I'd probably give it a go with between 2-3 pounds, depending on how much smoke you want.

If you *like* smoked beers, don't be afraid of rauchmalt. It's nowhere near as overpowering as peated malt (which I personally think is only good if used for a little aroma, not to be tasted directly). Rauchmalt is just smooth and warm, if you don't love smokiness than you'll hate it, but if you hate it you wouldn't be brewing it. I'd probably give it a go with between 2-3 pounds, depending on how much smoke you want.

Love that smokey flavor! So I'm good to guy! Thanks Bird!

Anyone else object to 2-3 pounds?

2-3 lbs should be enough to add a nice complimentary smokiness. What is the base recipe?

My smoked porter recipe is nearly 50% Rauchmalt, and I find it adds a nice warming smoky character to the brown porter base recipe. Here's a review:

Howl at the Moon - Smoked Porter 22B

Aroma: Restrained, but noticeable smoke aroma. Not overpowering and well-placed. Lots of toasted notes behind the smoke, very pleasant. Good roast character as well. Could use some malty/sweet tones to really invite you in - perhaps some chocolate aroma would work in providing a perfect balalnce. (10/12)

Appearance: Black, opaque. Minimal head that forms tight/dense lacing. Weird islands of bubbles in the center of the glass. Never seen that before - nothing wrong with it, just odd. Brownish tints when held to the light. (3/3)

Flavor: Parallels the aroma quite well. Smoke is in the foreground, but not overpowering by any stretch of the imagination. A little more roast in the flavor, which needs some backup malt presence to help balance it out. The toastiness of the aroma is not as prominent here, but overall needs a bigger malt character. No acrid notes usually associated with a robust porter. Mild hop bitterness presence. (15/20)

Mouthfeel: Could perhaps use more body to project the base beer. Well carbonated, not too fizzy. Mild tongue-washing dryness from the roasted grains. (3/5)

Overall: Very well done. Could just use a few more gravity points or perhaps more prominent malts in the grist to help the balance the roast/smoke with the base in the aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel. Really the only thing that was off - cleanly brewed overall with no off flavors. Well done. (8/10)

(39/50)

I wonder if my HBS mislabeled the peat malt I have as smoked malt, I used a couple ounces in a smokey porter and it is far more smokey than porter. Hearing people talk about 2-3 lbs not being overpowering, and on par with the Stone Smoked Porter, doesn't add up with my experiences.

How much "peat malt" did you use? If it was more than 4-6 ounces, you'd know it! Peated malt is not just harsher, but almost acrid; like licking the inside of a chimney. It's not smooth/warm at all.

How much "peat malt" did you use? If it was more than 4-6 ounces, you'd know it! Peated malt is not just harsher, but almost acrid; like licking the inside of a chimney. It's not smooth/warm at all.

My original recipe called for 1/3lb, but the smoke smell as I was cracking the grain was so strong I stopped after ~1/4 lb.

Oh, so they labeled it as "smoked malt" and it was actually peat? I wouldn't think you'd pick out much of any smoke at all for than much. It's still a wholly different character.

It was labeled "Smoked Malt" but seems to pack a much heavier punch that most describe a smoked malt to have. I don't know what it is...I do know I should throw it away before it falls into another batch.

I agree that the flavor off the birds ass project was not overpowering. It was an drinkable smoked flavor beer, and I'm not a big fan of too much smoked flavor in beer. If you go with 2-4 pounds you may nail this one.
OP-
How much chocolate or black malt are you using in this porter? chocolate & rauch seem like a nice marriage of flavors.

I'm a little out of practice, but that sounds a little bit on the high end for a porter. How big of a beer overall? I would think that at the very least, with that much roasted malt you could get away with skewing the rauchmalt on the higher end. I'd definately do at least three pounds of rauch and not be afraid to do more.

Back