Wah!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I was checking the hops this morning and discovered the growth tip had been cut/chomped off of one of the Perle bines. Since the bine is almost 4 ft tall, I think I'll just let it ride.

I trained another bine to the twine. It's only 2 ft long and really thin. Don't know what it will do this late in the season, but it's worth trying.

Everything else has been enjoying the hot, sunny weather and growing 5-6" a day. Some of them are over 8 feet, which is about double what I've seen for 1 June in past years.

Ah...that's life. I had a volunteer runner that had gone like 18 inches under the ground from my cascade crown and popped up there, so I hacked it off and transplanted it down to another line. It looked sad and mopey despite all the water it was getting...now, about a month later is has 3 or 4 brand new bines. I won't get anything from it this year, but it's a free rhizome!

Back to your subject, I wouldn't worry about the growth tip. I have had that happen before, and almost inevitably, it busts out a new growth tip from one of the crooks where the leaves are, a bit further back from the end of the bine.

What I can't figure out is why my 3rd year mount hood is only like 6 feet tall, when the 3rd-year cascades and crystal plants are up to the top of the line and very vigorous. And the damn EKG won't grow for sh*t either. It's a 2nd year plant, and the thing is barely 3" out of the ground. I might have to replace it with another crystal.

Hops are weird. In the past, the Fuggles and Cascade ruled. They'd be up weeks ahead of everything else and hit the T-bar first. This year the Mt. Hood and Nuggett are doing the best.

My first-year Cascade are hands down the best grower compared to 6 others.

On the other hand, my last year's Nuggett
and Chinook--both sprouted, grew fast and high last year--are the laggards this year having sprouted later than the new rhizomes, and have grown slowly since sprouting. So Far.

Back