I am confused?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraAgent

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch 3 weeks ago. It was Rouges Dead Guy Ale....Yummmmmy! Brewing went off with out a hitch and bottling went off with out a hitch. I had been tasting it on and off and it has been really good. The carbinations in my bottles have been very inconsistant.

After I bottled I put them in two different cases.For the last week I had been sampling from case no 1 taking 3 or 4 out at a time and putting them in the fridge to drink. Last night I started the second case and The last 5 beers I have drank have had a very chalky taste to it. What would cause this.

What kind of fermentable did you use for bottling? Also, what was the OG/FG of the brew prior to bottling?

Wait, are you asking why your beers are inconsistently carbonated or why they have a chalky taste to them?

If you poured your carbonating sugar in one area and didn't stir it around, I believe that might be a problem. I've heard it likes to settle at the bottom, so some of your beers can be too carbonated, while others aren't carbonated enough.

The chalky taste may be attributed to your water, more specifically, the calcium carbonate content of your water. you may want to get a water report, or at least check the CaCO3 reading.

No I figured that that the inconsistency of carb was due to the fact that i didnt stir my priming sugar (newbie, I didnt want to take a chance to adding air to my brew) I didnt use my tap water i used bottled water. I didnt check my gavites because I suck (hehehe) No hydro. There seems to be no ryme not reason as to why some taste chalky. The ones with a really good head are excellent. Some with 1/4 inch head are excellent then some with 1/4 inch head are chalky.

Now I did read a post that said "if i lacked carbonation to turn the bottles over once a week before putting in fridge and that should get a bit more carb going". I did do this to the second batch that i had could the "stuff at the bottom of the bottles attribute to this?

What did you use to wash and sanitize your bottles? Perhaps some of them didn't get the cleaner rinsed out completely.

Also, why are you drinking so many only 3 weeks after brewing? At the rate you're going, you won't have any left by the time they are actually ready!

Back