#7 water bottle ruined beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
I know it is not a good idea in theory...Has anyone had a batch of beer messed up by a #7 water bottle...? thanks

a number 7 or 7 pound ? ether way i dont know what you are talking about

and what do you mean "messed up"

He's talking about plastic code #7.

I have never done beer in a #7, but I do use one for applewine and have had zero problems.

I've used it for beer and have had no problems either....

the worst worry is growing man boobs 20 years from now due to BPE....but it won't ruin your beer.

Standard water cooler bottles labeled as #7 are polycarbonate or polystyrene, and oxygen permeable. These are made from Bisphenol-A (BPA) which recently have been criticized for releasing chemicals and compounds into food and drink items that may be dangerous. I'm sure someone has used them with success, but they are not recommended for beer/winemaking. Google Bisphenol-A (BPA) and check out Wikipedia it has tons of info on this material and its health risks as well as technical info.

#7 recyclable type. has BPA in it.

There's nothing about it that should ruin your beer. Many people have had success with them. In general, if the bottle is used, a lot of the BPA will have leeched out generally (or so I've heard).

There's nothing about it that would ruin your beer.

Standard water cooler bottles labeled as #7 are polycarbonate or polystyrene, and oxygen permeable. These are made from Bisphenol-A (BPA) which recently have been criticized for releasing chemicals and compounds into food and drink items that may be dangerous. I'm sure someone has used them with success, but they are not recommended for beer/winemaking. Google Bisphenol-A (BPA) and check out Wikipedia it has tons of info on this material and its health risks as well as technical info.

A quick google search also reveals that my personal care products cause cancer :rolleyes:

Cancer Causing Chemicals in Personal Care Products

Believe what you will, but anywhere you look you will find some hype about why you should/should not put just about any substance in/on your body...

If totally clear isn't needed you can get 5 gallon jugs from Culligan in some areas. I payed 10$ for my Culligan #2 jug for Apfelwein, easy to fit a airlock on too if you cut off the spigot and use a #2 drilled stopper as well. Or there's also #2 5 gallon buckets for 5$ at walmart....+2$ for a lid.

The culligan is basically one of these with a spigot. Fort-Pak® - US Plastic Corporation

I now have two 5 gal. Better Bottle (PETE) carboys, in addition to the two glass ones that came with my initial kit. If I need more, I will buy more BBs. At $19 a pop, and with care, useful for hundreds of batches of beer. Therefore, the amortized cost of that vs. another type of plastic container is only pennies. Not worth worrying about.

Back