Would this work well for lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lagering is done @ 30-32*F so this wouldn't work.

Didn't you ask the same question last week?

gonzoflick said:
I am buying one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Danby-DWC310BL-...ryZ20713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

from a friend and im thinking it will work quit well for lagering. It seems to be large enough to fit a single carboy (if I take out a few racks) and the temps can be controlled from 42-57 degrees. What do you all think

Except for the glass doors (that let damaging light in) i cant see why it wouldnt. Most lagers are fermented at 45-50 degrees so it seems like it would be perfect.

Firsly No I didnt ask this question last week. Secondly... So I can ferment lagers at this temp if I cut out the light correct? I have also a kegerator running at 36 degrees woudl that work for lagering?

Somebody was looking at a similar item for a kegger.

Anyway, you can ferment in the wine cellar and lager in the kegger. Buy a couple extra cornies & you're set.

p.s. just picked it up and my 5 gallon carboy fits PERFECTLY in it.. has like 2mm of space above... yessss..

gonzoflick said:
p.s. just picked it up and my 5 gallon carboy fits PERFECTLY in it.. has like 2mm of space above... yessss..

If you cant fit an airlock in there just use one of those honeycomb stoppers, they sit only a few centemeters above the carboy top...

gonzoflick said:
Firsly No I didnt ask this question last week. Secondly... So I can ferment lagers at this temp if I cut out the light correct? I have also a kegerator running at 36 degrees woudl that work for lagering?
Maybe it wasn't YOU who asked this question last week, but somebody DID ask it and all the points brought up here were brought up then. That's why the question about last week was brought up.

Many questions come up time and time again and regulars here get a little tired of answering them over and over. Please read the first few pages of a forum, or use the search features, if you have questions and see if it's already been answered recently.

me and the gentlman who said I already asked this question already worked it out. I am a regular here and do look at the first page. WHy do you think its OK to come in after the fact 9 posts later and belittle me?

I am looking to get a brewing refrigerator that would be flexible enough for both ales (bringing the temp down to about 68 F from my warm, baltimore home) and for lagers. Does such a device exist or would I have to rig something up?

gonzoflick said:
me and the gentlman who said I already asked this question already worked it out. I am a regular here and do look at the first page. WHy do you think its OK to come in after the fact 9 posts later and belittle me?
Sorry your feelings were hurt, but I won't apologize for my comment. The fact remains you committed a faux pas.

tockeyhockey said:
I am looking to get a brewing refrigerator that would be flexible enough for both ales (bringing the temp down to about 68 F from my warm, baltimore home) and for lagers. Does such a device exist or would I have to rig something up?

Get a freezer like this...

and a temperature controller like this...

I just use an old fridge that I modded by cutting out e partition between the freezer and main compartment...

For $60 that's a hell of a deal considering the price of just a temperature regulator.

Yea Im pretty stoked. Now I have a cooler for lager (fermentation) and when Im not fermenting I have a beautifully see through frig for my frosty mugs, beer/wine bottles, and cigars :)

bikebryan said:
Sorry your feelings were hurt, but I won't apologize for my comment. The fact remains you committed a faux pas.

And you are perfect?

Lay off him, BB.

-walker

bikebryan said:
FYI, lowering the level of discourse below beer or lighthearted jabs on this particular forum is also a faux pas. We tend to keep things pretty laid back and don't get too worked up about trivialities when there are so many more important issues at hand such as glass vs plastic.

Baron von BeeGee said:
FYI, lowering the level of discourse below beer or lighthearted jabs on this particular forum is also a faux pas. We tend to keep things pretty laid back and don't get too worked up about trivialities when there are so many more important issues at hand such as glass vs plastic.

I think it's a major social blunder to be using the word faux pas in a homebrewing forum:D

Latest posts

Back