New Kitchen Brew Stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fungo

Reaction score
Hi All,
Been lurking for a good long time, now I need advice. WooHoo, my oven (electric) died spectacularly, and only two burner on the stove work, so I'm shopping. I see ranges with a 16k btu burner. Will this do a 7.5 gal. boil? I'm ready to run a gas line. To clarify, I'm in PA and hate the frickin' winter, but I get great ale ferm temps in the back bedroom now. Anybody know? I know I would have the heatstick option with the 220 stove outlet, but I'm leery. Is 16k enough?

I brew on a 19K which is times compared to some of the burners used by most brewers.

It should be okay.

You could always build a heat stick to supplement it if it's not quite enough.

Yeah, 16k BTUs is like using a 4,700W element... that is pretty doable.

From sparge temps to boil, should only take about 15 minutes at 90% efficiency. Granted, a 4,700W electric element would have much higher heat transfer efficiency since it is delivering all of its power INSIDE the fluid. You will have a lot of heat escaping the burner from around the kettle... but 15-25 minutes and it will be boiling most certainly.

Also, I can keep a rolling boil with 3,300W (11,270 BTU) (5500W element running at 60%) so your stove should be able to easily maintain a boil once it is reached.

That is one HELL of a stove.

The Pol

Back