Beer Tools Pro 1.5 Tutorial Videos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I was going to add this to the other BTP1.5 thread but I have a couple videos I'm still editing down so I'll put them all here. The first is just a basic setup, bare minimum to set up a recipe. The second part coming later today is how to setup a batch sparge schedule from scratch.

Basic Recipe:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9xuSQrfEM]YouTube - Beer Tools Pro 1.5 Basic Setup Tutorial[/ame]

Batch Sparge Schedule:

I'm still trying to work on the quality here. I've read that capturing in youtube's native MP4 resolution is a good way to do that. Edwort also suggested converting to flash video and hosting outside of youtube. In any case, you should be able to get the idea... The second video was uploaded as a hi res so if you go directly to youtube to watch this, you can select "watch in high quality".

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to make the dive into some software and this helped me out a ton! Thanks Bobby!

Nice job on the videos. Glad to see that you're doing them. I've switched over to BTP since the 1.5 release and I think it's pretty nice. Hopefully some others will take a fresh look at it now, since it's always seemed sort of the red-headed step child to Pro Mash and Beersmith.

What I find amazing is just how long these vids ran. I had to edit like nuts to keep them under 10 minutes and there's still a lot to explain like:

How to find out what your efficiency really was.
How to enter someone else's recipe at one efficiency and scale it to match your usual.

Maybe everyone already knows that stuff.

...How to enter someone else's recipe at one efficiency and scale it to match your usual.

That'd be an interesting one. I'm trying right now (well, not RIGHT now) to scale a 6 gallon Jamil recipe (Red Rocket clone) to my usual 5.25 gallon batch at my usual efficiency. I'm just manually figuring out how much grain/hops to scale back and doing it by trial and error (trying to hit his OG, color, IBU). Maybe there's really no better way, but if there is I'd love to see it demo'd.

Bobby, the vids are great. Enough so to make me want to use BPT. I would love vids for efficiency and scaling.

Thanks!

Dave

I second that. It makes things way easier seeing them on your vids vs reading about it. I was lost with this program until watching your videos. It helped make all grain so much easier to deal with, after learning how to use software.

thanks for the vids helped out alot. trialed it and bought it tonight great program

Thanks dude. I think a lot of new BTP users run away too fast because some of the basic things are less than intuitive. Now if I can just figure out how to get on BTP's payroll.

These Videos are great Bobby! Thanks so much.

I use a mac so I was unable to get promash or beersmith on my computer. It is a powerpc so I can't even run windows on it to run those other programs. Therefore, I felt like I was "stuck with" BTP. I have been struggling with trying to figure the program out for the last day or two. After watching your videos I am now very happy with BTP and look forward to using it. Thanks!!

I'm doing my first all-grain batch today, and while my strike water is heating up, I'm looking over some of the features I don't use...yet.

When calibrating a heat vessel, does the "Time to heat 18 deg" value need to be time of the first 18 deg of heating above the "Enviroment" temp, or just the timing of any 18 rise during heating?

Bobby, you might have mentioned this but I didn't see anything. I'm using a converted keg for boiling and heating. A 10 gal round rubbermaid cooler as my Mash/Lauter and a 5gal round cooler as my HLT. When calibrating in BTP should I pre-heat any of the vessels or should it be real world as possible? ( I don't pre-heat for brew day). And secondly, is there a preferred volume for calibrating? Another-words, should I fill the vessel 50% full, 75%...... etc.
Thanks!
Figured I would try the software out now that I have a much better understanding than I did a couple of years ago. I currently use Promash as my primary software, but also beersmith just to have the brewday printout (checklist), I sure wish they would update promash just for that reason!

No preheating, and yes use enough water to fill the vessel to typical usage volume. This mostly applies to the cooler. The heat capacity and xfer numbers won't matter much on the HLT/BK.

Back