Stir Plate on Ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to send the lady who is selling them an e-mail about it a couple of days ago and ask her to let me know if she shipped it yet so I would know what to do. Well she messaged me back yesterday and apologized for taking so long and said she would ship it yesterday. Its still not here as of this afternoon.

I'll let you know when I get it, I want to try and make some Hefe Yeast out of the bottoms of some Erdingers from the store. Even if it gets here tomorrow it may be a day or so before I can really try it out because I still have to go get a 1 L beaker or maybe some quart Mason jars or something, and besides I need some Wheat DME to make the starter with anyway.

OK I finally received it today. Its made of a wooden cigar box, and it certainly is attractive looking, so its got that going for it. It only has one speed and thats full speed, but I think I can probably monkey with it and add a speed control pretty easily.

The first thing I wanted to try and do with it is make some Hefe style yeast from the Dregs of some bottles of Erdinger so I got some wheat DME and made a pint-sized starter. Starter is cooling now, and I'm planning on drinking a sixer of Erdinger tonight and instead of swirling the yeast into my glass, I'm going to swirl the yeast into the starter.

I also noticed that the stirplate seems to go too fast so it throws the stir-bar off the magnets, and it doesn't really want to stay in place and stir very well. It may be because I'm trying to stir in a measuring cup instead of in a beaker or something... I might go to the LHBS tomorrow and pick up a beaker or a different sized stirbar and see if that makes a difference. If not, sooner or later I'm sure I'll want to add a speed control.

All in all, I'd say it was not a bad purchase - under $40 and I would probably have spent close to that if not more trying to find the parts and put it together myself.

Back