Star San - Do I need gloves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been using Star San for the last couple of brews and I love it. I want to find out if you guys are using gloves to protect your hands during sanitation. I do notice that it can be pretty harsh on the skin.

I dont think its an issue in its diluted form when used for sanitizing, but I think its very acidic if you get the concentrated stuff on your skin and you need to wash it immediately.

lmao
No, I didn't know that.
Mixing up a glass now.
Thanks guys!

I have discovered that it has left rings on our counter top where I set the cap down! SWMBO not too happy when we realized what left the rings! So just a warning...But is completely safe for washing your hands!!!

It'll dry your hands out pretty thoroughly if you use it for an extended period of time and don't bother to rinse them off. Otherwise, it's pretty harmless.

I don't use any gloves - but I know some brewers around here do wear rubber gloves (exam style) when handling their wet glass carboys that have been in starsan - just to minimize dropage.

I've cleaned commercial Ice machines for over 30 years with acid base cleaners like StarSan, and I now have really dry skin on my hands.
Any time I work with any chemicals I wear gloves, if I don't it will dry them out for a couple of days.

Most people that use StarSan, on an occasional basic, don't have a problem with it.

Back