Grain-bulk buy and storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormBird

Reaction score
If I where to buy a bag of whole malted grain, how would I want to store it for maximum life and flavor?

talking about base grain? the 50lb sack?
most of us get 2 pails and lids from home depot (the cheap homer buckets). 50lbs fits comfortably into those buckets.
could go above and beyond by adding a weather strip into the lid grove... or! or or or.. going the more pricey route and getting 2 non drilled buckets from your LHBS with the gaskets already there.

I tend to use a bag of base malt within six to eight weeks. I'm from Colorado where it is nice and dry and I've never thought a fancier storage solution.

The bag they sat in at the maltster, on the truck, and at my LHBS seems to be good enough for me.

Am I running larger danger?

About a year ago I bought 9 bags of grain, and stored them in the bags in plastic tubs (not airtight) in the crawlspace, where the temp is pretty constant at about 60 or so. Beer I made recently was just as good as beer made a year ago. The grain tastes and smells good.

When I open a bag I usually put the rest in plastic buckets with tight lids.

I think its possible that the grain could be over a year old before it gets malted. It may have spent a long time in a grain elevator or silo. I would think that the shelf life is less once its malted, but I don't think that even malted grain is particularly fragile.

Back