Day 5 with WLP530 - safe to leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathematics

Reaction score
Ya ya ya not the best planning on my part, brewed Sat afternoon & pitched my yeast starter, pitched at 67/68F, now up to 70F. About 5.5 gal total volume, in an 8 gal fermenter.

Leaving tomorrow (Wed) to head home for the holidays. Think this is safe? I am used to huge blowoffs with this yeast, I've had alot of bubbling in the airlock so far but not a huge krausen. Worried as soon as I leave it's going to pop off.

Not completely familiar with the yeast, but 5.5 gallons in a 8 gallon fermenter sounds more than enough! I could be wrong though.

Ya you would think, last time I used WLP530 though I did a belgian stout in the same fementer, and that blew off at right about the 2 day mark. That was 1.065 or so, this beer is closer to 1.095

I have had the same blow off problems with 530. If I have to leave it I put a blow off tube in the rubber cork and place the tube in a light sani solution.

Funny you made a Belgian Stout with 530 not long ago. I made one last week with some D and D2 candi syrup with a similar OG.

BW

Blowoff tube it is, krausen started early this morning and hit the top just about an hour ago.

WLP530 does not ferment politely.

530 is the only yeast I ALWAYS use a blow off tube with. Only a few times it stayed in the carboy!

BW

Back