Carlsberg Recipe????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
Hello all! Long story short im new to home brewing and have made some of my own batches and they came out well. Im from england but now live in the states and miss my beloved carlsberg. Its 10 dollars for a 6 pack and that hurts!! Does anybody know of a good carlsberg recipe floating around?
:mug:cheers

Subscribed! I have fond memories of drinking Carlsberg with fair haired ladies in Dennmark :)
I'd love to have a taste again.

I've only had carlsberg a couple times, but it tastes pretty much like a regular malty munich helles to me. Should be in the neighborhood of:

9.5# pilsner - must be imported from continental europe
1.25# carapils

Mash 156 30-60 minutes, boil 90 minutes but only boil the hops for 60 minutes.

Bitter with about 18-20 IBU worth of your favorite noble hop. Skip the late additions, if I remember right it isn't meant to have much hop character.
OG should be 1.050 - 1.052 roughly.

Ferment with a heavy dosage of your favorite lager yeast, and you must have perfect technique. Any off flavors or flaws will cover up that carlsberg taste, it's a pretty damn delicate beer.

Good luck, it's pretty much the most difficult style there is... so have fun with that :D.

Here's a couple from the webbies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Carlsberg Clone
by tazman67 on Wednesday Jul 16, 2008 6:01 pm

From "Brew Classic European Beers At Home.
Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz (12/1995)

CARLSBERG HOF

OG 1041
Plato 10.2

23 Litres
Pilsner Malt 3220g
Carapils 240g
White Sucrose 470g

Hallertau 35g 90min
Irish moss 10g 15min

Brewing method
Temperature-stepped infusion or double-decoction mash. Can do this as a 2 step mash or a simple infusion mash.

Mash Schedule 50c-20min
66c-45min
72c-45min

Boil time 90min
Racking gravity 1006 1.5 Plato
Alcohol content 4.7% by volume 3.8 by weight
Bitterness 23 EBU
Colour 5 EBC
Ferment at 10-15C, lager at 10C

Malt extract
Replace Pilsner Malt with Pale Malt 2500g

Yeast Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast would be my choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CARLSBERG ELEPHANT BEER

OG 1065 15.8 Plato

23 Litres
Pilsner malt 5450gm
White Sucrose 750gm

Hallertau 60gm& 90min

Hallertau 15gm @15min
Irish moss 10gm @ 15min

Brewing method
Temperature- stepped infusion or double-decoction mash

Mash schedule 50C - 20min
66C - 45min
72C - 45min

Boil time 90min
Racking gravity 1009 2.3 Plato
Alcohol content 7.5% by volume 6.0% by weight
Bitterness 38 EBU
Colour 5 EBC

Ferment and lager as per usual methods

Yeast Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast I suggest

Malt extract version
Replace Pilsner malt with 4200gm of Pale Malt extract

So in other words im in over my head to even try making this since im a brewbie

It's just that to get it exactly needs a lot more gear for all that lagering and low temperature stuff.

What you might be able to do, and there's loads of suggestions and recipes on this site, is make a straight forward not too hoppy pale ale using hops normally associated with lager brewers (hallertau, saaz and so on) and a neutral yeast like Nottingham. That might get you a few of the right sort of flavours, and you might even find it nicer than Carlsberg.

What kind of approach are you thinking of taking? I bet there are some good quality kits for this type of easy drinking lager type beer given that it is so popular.

Any one in the US able to point to one easily available over there??

Subscribed! I have fond memories of drinking Carlsberg with fair haired ladies in Dennmark :)
I'd love to have a taste again.

I have fond memories of drinking Carlsberg with fair haired ladies in Sweden, but not so much of Carlsberg.

Your not over your head, it's just a tougher beer. I'm still dialing in my process too, I started getting beers real close to carlsberg after the first couple of tries but I didn't have any good advice or tips. You can use the same recipe but use Kolsch yeast and it will be pretty close without the lagering headache.

I have fond memories of drinking Carlsberg with fair haired ladies in Sweden, but not so much of Carlsberg.

Thanks for the highly beneficial input... now go brew an IPA.

May I ask, is there something, a grain, I can use so I don't have to add Sucrose or dextrose to this recipe, cause I would like not to .

Any suggestions and Ty for this post cheers

May I ask, is there something, a grain, I can use so I don't have to add Sucrose or dextrose to this recipe, cause I would like not to .

Simply increase the percentage of pilsner malt.

Why? If a recipe calls for adding sugar, and you're trying to make that recipe, then changing it, like to add pilsner malt like was suggested, will not give you the same beer.

You'll have a beer with more body than the original if you replace the sugar with grain.

Contrary to what you might mis-understand, adding sugar to a recipe is not bad, adding too much sugar, like over 30% of the grainbill, is what's bad.

We need to stop this repeating this oversimplification.

That's actually another one of those brewer's myths that new brewer's tend to repeat over and over like canon, without full understanding what they're talking about.

Too much sugar, in a recipe can give off off flavors, or make a beer cidery, but we're talking about someone who wants to bump up the alcohol on his 6 pounds of extract beer by adding another 6 pounds of table sugar to it.

That whole thing about not adding sugar or else you make "cidery" beer is one of those little "chestnuts" that noobs repeat without thinking deeper about it. When we talk about it being a bad thing, is when the ration of sugar to malt quite high, like frat boys trying to bump up their coopers can...yeah that's a bad thing...but we're not talking about that here, we're talking about an acceptable brewing process for many styles of beer...

I mean do you like Belgian beers? Are they "cidery?" Are they crappy tasting because of the simple sugars that are added? If you like them, that's how they achieved the beer you like.

Belgian beers are a style that are supposed to have simple sugars in it. It raises the abv, but it also cuts down on some of the body, promotes the formation of certain flavors and helps dry the beer out.

Adding sugars traditionally are a way of upping the ABV without boosting the body. They also can thin out a heavier bodied beer. And dry it out.

If you are trying to make a high gravity beer if you used all grain you'd have a thick and heavy beer.

The easiest comparison to make is the difference between a Barleywine and a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. They are pretty close in color, ibus and gravity, but since the Belgian beer replaces some of the grain with sugars it's a thinner, more refreshing finish....where the barleywine is almost like a liqueur.

A pound or two isn't going to affect the beer in a negative way, especially if the recipe calls for. Even a cooper's which people want to deride, or some others suggest replacing with malt extract, is really meant to have exactly the amount of sugar the recipe might call for. But if you willy nilly add a couple more pounds to it, that's another story.

It's about balance in a recipe, the correct amount of sugar in a recipe is fine, and often serves an important purpose.

If you want a beer that's going to match in body to these beers, then you need an adjucnt like sugar to get the alcohol level similar without making the body heavier. Keeping in quaffable.

Sugar is not the enemy.....

Personal choice Revvy but Ty for the reply good point

It may be a "Personal choice" but if you're trying to clone a brew, you really should be using what the brewery whose beer you're trying to clone is using....Otherwise you won't be getting the beer you're trying to make.

That's how they got the flavor that you supposedly "like" so much that you want to clone. Otherwise you're making a different beer.

Revvy I tried both, 1 batch with more pilsner malt and 7 batches with the sucrose. The recipe you posted is excellent and ty I really enjoyed and am still enjoying them, I still have 2 kegged and 1 in a carboy. I did how ever change the yeast and alternated between 2124 & 2565 as Lager work arounds since I don't have a cold enough area to use the Danish Lager yeast ...... Yet, that's the next project a fermentation chamber LOL.

Ty again

Re: Carlsberg Clone
by tazman67 on Wednesday Jul 16, 2008 6:01 pm

From "Brew Classic European Beers At Home.
Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz (12/1995)

CARLSBERG HOF

OG 1041
Plato 10.2

23 Litres
Pilsner Malt 3220g
Carapils 240g
White Sucrose 470g

Hallertau 35g 90min
Irish moss 10g 15min

Brewing method
Temperature-stepped infusion or double-decoction mash. Can do this as a 2 step mash or a simple infusion mash.

Mash Schedule 50c-20min
66c-45min
72c-45min

Boil time 90min
Racking gravity 1006 1.5 Plato
Alcohol content 4.7% by volume 3.8 by weight
Bitterness 23 EBU
Colour 5 EBC
Ferment at 10-15C, lager at 10C

Malt extract
Replace Pilsner Malt with Pale Malt 2500g

Yeast Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast would be my choice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I know what my next lager will be. Thanks for posting this one Revvy.

I love Carlsberg when I get it in the canned format. So nice and malty and smooth.

Thanks for the recipe as well. This will be my 5th batch of beer... and I havent even drank my first yet!

I am a big time planner when it comes to hobbies... well, not really, but this hobby is unusual because one has to wait nearly a MONTH to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

So, I already brewed my 1st 2 Mr. Beer kits, ordered/received my ingriedients for my next 2 brews of brown ale and since have wanted to do a Carlsberg Clone. So that will be the next set of ingredients I will buy along with a case or two of 32 oz bottles to fit the beer in so I can brew a batch a week.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malt extract
Replace Pilsner Malt with Pale Malt 2500

I'm sorry... but what does the above mean? If you want to do an extract version, use Pale Malt 2500 instead of the Pilsner malt?

No, you wold replace the pilsner grain with 2500 grams of a pale malt extract

And it tastes the same?

Interesting. Is that because both are considered a base?

Is a pale malt extract similar to the pilsner?

What about using Briess's Pilsner LME?

What in the Carlsbrg recipe is the driver for the taste? Thanks.

And it tastes the same?

Interesting. Is that because both are considered a base?

Is a pale malt extract similar to the pilsner?

What about using Briess's Pilsner LME?

What in the Carlsbrg recipe is the driver for the taste? Thanks.

This is how typically you brew extract over an all grain recipe, you swap out the "base malt" with a comparable extract. And yes, in this case Pilsner extract would be the best to use. It's what I would use if I were brewing this recipe as an extract with grains.

I don't know what you mean by "driver" of the taste. A beer's taste is determined by the grainbill, the hops, whether or not the yeast contributes any flavoring, and the water chemistry, it's a combinations of things.

So I went into my local brew store and bought more bottles and the ingredients mentioned for the Carlsberg recipe.

I bought Briess's Pilsner LME.

The guy at the store was like "Its not a 1 for 1 to replace that grain with a LME... I need to up the hops".

He also said that lagers can take a while and that they need colder temps.

So he sold me a San Fransico Lager yeast that will ferment at higher temps.

Any thoughts or feedback?

I actually have a fridge in my garage as I am using a different one inside the house.

Is it difficult to get a standard fridge to stay in a 55-65 degree range?

The guy at the store was like "Its not a 1 for 1 to replace that grain with a LME... I need to up the hops".

It's not a one to one replacement, look at the recipes above, in one you're replacing 3,200 grams of grain with 2,500 grams of extract.

But if you're following the recipe, then you don't need to mess with the hops The gravity of 3,200 grams of grain is = to 2,5000 extract, so nothing has changed in the recipe, so the hops don't need to mess with it.

If you did a 1-1 replacement, the you would not be making the same beer.

Thats what I thought... when I explained the ratio difference was taken care of with the malt qtys he got confused.

One thing I am finding out... there are a lot of OCD brewers out there... yet a lot of them only understand the details in their very own way. And if stuff is communicated outside of their way of understanding it, then they get all bent out of shape.

Thats what I thought... when I explained the ratio difference was taken care of with the malt qtys he got confused.

One thing I am finding out... there are a lot of OCD brewers out there... yet a lot of them only understand the details in their very own way. And if stuff is communicated outside of their way of understanding it, then they get all bent out of shape.

You can do it all really easily with brewing software. It will do it for you.

Okay... I am starting to plan my next recipe.

I have all the listed ingredients with Briess Pilsner LME as the replacement.

I have fridge with a temp controller but I havent tested to see if it can stay in the 35-40 degree range.

One difference in my ingredients is that I have San Fransico Lager yeast that can ferement at higher temps. Is there any knowledge in here about this yeast type for laggering? Taste differences?

San Fran CARLSBERG

23 Litres
Pilsner LME 2500g
Carapils 240g
White Sucrose 470g

Hallertau 35g 70min
Irish moss 10g 15min

Brewing method
Steeped the grain 45 min
Hopped for 70 mins
Irish Moss 10 min

Yeast WL San Francisco Lager

--------------------------------

Brewed and pitched yeast 12/29-12/30

Will lager at 62 f. San Francisco Lager yeast allows for higher temps... it won't be the same as cold laggering with the Danish lager... but it's a spin off with all the same ingredients in 5 gallons.

Plan to let it ferment for 3 weeks. :mug:

SF Lager yeast is a hybrid strain- it's pretty fruity to me when used at above 56 degrees, and makes a great California common but not a clean lager at all. A steam beer (fermenting lager yeast at ale temperatures) can be nice, but they are generally much fruitier than a lager.

Yeah... I have to stick with it since I bought it before I got my temp controller. And now I have 7 gallons bottled, I figured I would keep it at 62 f so i could keep using the fridge for both.

What is the highest temp a bottled beer can take after it has already reached final gravity and is in the secondary stage with priming sugar? Would it be okay at 75 degrees?

For now, since my batch is bubbling, I am gonna stick with 62 and see where this beer takes me.

Yeah... I have to stick with it since I bought it before I got my temp controller. And now I have 7 gallons bottled, I figured I would keep it at 62 f so i could keep using the fridge for both.

What is the highest temp a bottled beer can take after it has already reached final gravity and is in the secondary stage with priming sugar? Would it be okay at 75 degrees?

For now, since my batch is bubbling, I am gonna stick with 62 and see where this beer takes me.

If it's already bottled, you want to take it out of the temperature control and let it carb up. 75 degrees is fine.

Gosh, must be a long time since Carlsberg was that strong in the UK. The abv here dropped from 4.0% to 3.8% back in 2008.

Back