Pitching on a yeast cake vs. ferm. temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I have heard before that by pitching on a yeast cake you are slightly overpitching (not in a bad way) and that you can ferment a little warmer cause the yeast eat through the sugar so fast they dont have much time to produce off flavors. Does this sound right or does the number of yeast added have nothing to do with ferm temp settings.

No, pitching on a yeast cake will produce a great deal of heat and off-flavors if you are not careful. I always cool the new wort to the low end of the yeast's temperature range.

Yeah next time i will start temp control before i pitch and watch carefully for the first 24 hrs. I did find on white labs website that pitching rates have a significant affect on ester and phenol productions where if you use lots of yeast (ex pitching on a full fresh yeast cake) you will get very low esters and phenols than if you were to pitch with less yeast. They said it has something to do with yeast growth so as long as i didnt get fusels i think i should be okay. Besides it was S-04 that started at 68 F and creaped up to 74 F in a few hours and then back down below 70 within 2 hrs.

Back