MacPelican's Wee Heavy, clone help !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,
I am hoping someone can help me develop a clone recipe for a beer I had at the Pelican Pub & Brewery on the Oregon coast. It is a Scotch Ale and was pure heaven to drink. I have never tried to make a start from scratch clone before so I wouldn't even know where to start. I think the thing that is really messing with me is the " half the water and twice the boiling time" part? To me it would mean in order to make a 5 gallon batch twice the amount of grain and probably a two hour boil? Anyway here is the listing I found on their web site.

Thanks In advance,

MacPelican's Wee Heavy - Available on Draft & in Bottles.
Our version of the "Wee Heavy" Strong Scotch Ale style is literally a batch of MacPelican's Scottish Ale brewed with half the water and twice the boiling time to create a beer with a massive malty flavor and a deep red color. The aroma hints of rich caramel, cocoa, toffee, and tropical fruit, with a full-bodied mouthfeel and a velvety sweet, slightly dry finish. A robust beer with a dangerous, drinkable smothness!

Ingredients:

Golden Promise malt
Caramel malts
Flaked barley

Willamette hops
Pure local water
Pure ale yeast - Wyeast 1056
Brewing Specifications :

21.9 degrees Plato
Alcohol: 8.9% by volume
Bitterness: 20 IBU
Color: Copper

How about (assuming 75% eff):
15 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb flaked barley
.5 lbs Simpson's Extra Dark Crystal (works great in wee heavies as well as dark German beers)
Mash ~156

Enough Willamettes to hit the target IBUs @ 60 min (depending on AA%)

3 hour boil (most commercial brewers do a 90 min boil). You can always boil down past your target volume and top back off, Hair of the Dog does that for Adam with great results.

OG ~1.091
Ferment cool with 1056.
FG 1.024
Age for a few months in the bottle before really getting into it.

I'm also a huge fan of this beer and the Pelican brewery. I'm curious, how did this recipe turn out?

Well..... This beer has kicked my ass from the start! I have not been able to get it to the point I feel it should. I have made 4 attempts at it and it has always come out a little different. After a lot of consideration I feel it is due to poor yeast in a big beer. I am slated to try this again in about a month and plan on a huge yeast starter and overall 3 times the yeast used before ! I will let you know how it comes out!

I just tried this beer, and rushed down to the local HB store for ingredience. I tried adding some of the Willamette to the end. You have a small but definite amount of hops flavor in this beer.

Back