1st AG Spice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAman

Reaction score
I am ready to brew my first AG spice ale. The only thing I have not got a handle on is when to add the spice's. I have seen everything from 60, 30, 10, 0 minutes to the boil. What affect do the spices have at the different times? what is most recommended? thanks for your help

I have always read that spices should be added at the very end. I have added some at 10 minutes and some at flame out.

Eric

I made a holiday brew just recently with spices. (faux pumpkin beer - no pumpkin). I added cinnamon/cloves/nutmeg at 5 minutes from flameout. I just tried one of them and they are mmmmmmm. The spices come out much better than I expected.

+1

Like in hops, flavor additions should be near flame-out, so that you get some 'steep time' for the flavors to transfer into the wort, like a tea. Boiling too long will break down some of the more delicate aromas & flavors. The heavy particles will settle out to the trub and not be in your final product.

If you have any spices or herbs that contribute bitterness, then those should probably be boiled a bit to extract the bitterness well.

Also note that spice flavors may be 'sharp' or 'harsh' when the beer is young, but mellow out significantly over several months of aging.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Back