Rum bottles for wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Reaction score
My wife and I go through a lot of Bacardi Silver rum (I know, alkis :drunk:) and we have many of these bottles. Can they be used for wine?

You can use just about any type of bottle you choose for wine, preferably glass. I've used recycled 40oz beer bottles with great success. I just wouldn't give away any wine in em as it looks tacky and people give you funny looks. When people think of wine they think of a cork. On another note, not sure how the aroma of rum would affect the character of the wine but I'm sure a good enough sanitizer soaking would fix that.

Yep, you can use those... in fact, I use beer bottles for wine as well. I cork a few for friends then use a wine-on-tap or beer bottles. It turns out that beer bottles are the best way to serve mist-style wines - they are very popular.

BTW - you should really try DonQ Crystal for your rum-and-cokes, sprite-and-cokes, and especially mojotos. They also make an excellent Anejo Rum.

My wife and I were in Ponce, PR for part of a vacation and got hooked on the DonQ rums.

Would a number 9 cork fit the rum bottle I wonder? I haven't bought the corker and corks yet.

We drink Bacardi silver because it is $15 a bottle and we go through a case per month, at least.

It will work as long as you can get the cap to seal up properly.

May have to do some experimentation with different sized corks if you want to go that route. If the cork is too small, you may end up having oxidation or blown out corks.

Back