Super-turbo cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcore

Reaction score
I heard from a "reliable source" that it's possible to make cider in a mere half a day. I'd like to investigate!
Apparently what you do it take the usual path of making cider, but make half the amount and leave a lot of room to stop explosions.
You then proceed to roll this backwards and forwards, drive about with it in your car boot, i'm sure you get the idea. Cause momentum basically, for half a day straight. This makes the yeast act super-fast, and in no time, you ahve an alcoholic beverage of sorts. You then just syphon, filter and store.
Apparently it tastes terrible - which is no surprise. I'm wondering though, is it possible to do? Would be a laugh!

I highly doubt it's possible but I know I wouldn't want to drink it!

Most ciders benifit from a long aging process, and combine this long aging process with the desire to drink requires a bit of a stock pile. So proper sized batches. Just an opinion...

It's called "prison hooch".... and if i'm not mistaken it takes a few days and the 'high' is recieved from the methane as much as the alcahol. The resulting head ache has been described to me as "legendary"

It's called "prison hooch".... and if i'm not mistaken it takes a few days and the 'high' is recieved from the methane as much as the alcahol. The resulting head ache has been described to me as "legendary"

This wouldn't be prison hooch at all. Inmates need to hide their stuff, they aren't going to be rolling it around, let alone driving with it in the car. They also don't have access to the ingredients to "make it the normal way"- which is why they have to resort to making hooch instead of something decent. It also doesn't have methane in it, just regular alcohol.

As far as this stuff, I don't see the agitation doing anything. It isn't a chemical process, it is biological. If anything, It might keep the yeasties in suspension longer, but that wouldn't be an issue for a couple of days at least.

This wouldn't be prison hooch at all.
Around here, "Prison Hooch" is more of a description of something made to get you drunk as hell, damn the quality.

I think that the question here is a valid one, even if posed as a way to make some swill, just for a hoot!

The question could if the answer was yes, benefit all of us. What would happen with a continuously agitated (not aerated) fermenter? I would assume you'd end up with beer (or cider) that would take forever to clear.

Valid question, silly idea.

Around here, "Prison Hooch" is more of a description of something made to get you drunk as hell, damn the quality.

By those standards, pretty much any homemade alcohol product could be referred to by the cynical as prison hooch- depending on whether or not you like the recipe.

The fact remains that the what is described in the OP has nothing in common with real prison hooch other than the fact that it produces alcohol. besides the fact that the rest of the post I quoted was baloney as well.

"Swill" or just plain "hooch", OK- but when referred to specifically as "Prison hooch" it is not.

YES WE DO - ALL THE TIME AND DON't YOU DARE SAY WE DON'T.

OK, If you used a HUGE yeast cake, had a super air-rated must, basically agitated that must like a stir-plate and yeast starter it may be possible, but we are talking about something that barely meet the "fermented standard" and it would taste like the yeast, because around 40% of it would still be active yeast. I for one would not want to drink it. (I would have to at least give it another 23.5 hours).

you could use 24 hour distillers yeast but yoyur gonna get alot of fusel alcohol and its gonna taste like ****

FWIW...It's still gonna taste really bad even if you do distill it. That Yeast isn't good for anything but making Ethanol for your lawn Mower....which is NOT cost effective to do at home!

technically its still drinkable......run the cider through a britta filter would take some of the taste away....either way all good things come to those who wait. Apfelwein takes 2 months and theres a reason for that. Dont rush it

Back