Need clarification re: pumps and running dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
I have bought a chugger pump. I have put camlocks on the ends of said chugger pump, and it sits. It sits waiting to be used. This is what I know about the pump:

1. It moves liquids from one vessel to another.
2. DO NOT RUN IT DRY!

My question is about #2. Let us say that I am transferring from one vessel to another. Vessel 1 empties, leaving the line from vessel 1 to the pump empty. However, there is still liquid in the line from the pump to vessel 2.

When do I shut off the pump? Immediately following the emptying of line 1? After line 2 is empty? I'm guessing I just disconnect line two and dump the contents into vessel 2. I just want to be clear as to the proper procedures. I definitely don't want to burn up a pump.

Thanks in advance.

As soon as the inlet to the pump is dry shut off..Don't want it to suck air..Most account for the lose of wort in the lines, etc..

I have bought a chugger pump. I have put camlocks on the ends of said chugger pump, and it sits. It sits waiting to be used. This is what I know about the pump:

1. It moves liquids from one vessel to another.
2. DO NOT RUN IT DRY!

My question is about #2. Let us say that I am transferring from one vessel to another. Vessel 1 empties, leaving the line from vessel 1 to the pump empty. However, there is still liquid in the line from the pump to vessel 2.

When do I shut off the pump? Immediately following the emptying of line 1? After line 2 is empty? I'm guessing I just disconnect line two and dump the contents into vessel 2. I just want to be clear as to the proper procedures. I definitely don't want to burn up a pump.

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry. Your pump will squeal like nobody's business when it's running dry. Just shut it off fast and you'll be fine.

I have silicon hose that's translucent, so I can see when the pump is about to run out of wort, and I shut it off just before the air gets to the pump. Then I shut the valve off that is connected to the pump outflow port, and then disconnect the hose from the pump outflow to my chiller inflow. Using gravity, I drain the remaining wort out of the hoses and chiller into my carboy.

Awesome. That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. Pumps cost too much to be gambling. I appreciate the feedback.

Back