Concern of hot side aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblism

Reaction score
I am approaching my first all grain batch. I currently have 2 kettles, one is a 11 gallon that I installed a 1/2" valve on the bottom, the other is a 24 gallon with a pre-installed 2" valve. The valve on the large tun is some wierd firefighter type.
Now here is the delema. I want to do a 10 gallon batch (Maybe even a 15 gallon batch) I am unable to use my plate chiller with the 24 gallon tun due to the odd valve type. What I am hoping to do is use the big tun to boil my beer, than once I am done boiling I will transfer the beer through the 2" valve into my smaller 11 gallon kettle. The biggest problem is the beer would spash when it fell the 18 inches to go from the big tun to the smaller kettle.

Is this going to cause enough aeration to be of any concern. I have read numerous threads on hot side aeration and don't know if I should be concerned or not.

Thanks!

i have never really been concerned with hot side aeration, I use some thermal hose to move my hot wort though. I have heard/read both arguments about worrying or not worrying but i don't know what to believe.

Yes. My opinion is that hot side aeration is a myth and there truly is no issue. And frankly if you think just a little bit about the post potential hot side aeration period you might realize that the concept is somewhat illogical. But it is my opinion, I know nothing, your mileage may whatever etc. and WTF.

Steve da sleeve

If you are concerned, can't you put a removable pipe that goes down to the bottom of the kettle while transferring? Not sure you have to worry too much, but I would minimize as much as possible.

As long as the worth is near boiling it should not be a consern
100-80C should be a pretty safe range atleast
76C and down would probably be the range where hot side aeration might become a problem

I use a high temp hose, because I am a pathetic risk-averse homebrewer.

But- I brewed a brown ale about 5 weeks ago with NO HOSE ! I just let the tun drain into the kettle splishy splashy..

OMG - is this stuff gonna taste like jet fuel ? Early tastings indicate I am probably safe :eek:

I am approaching my first all grain batch. I currently have 2 kettles, one is a 11 gallon that I installed a 1/2" valve on the bottom, the other is a 24 gallon with a pre-installed 2" valve. The valve on the large tun is some wierd firefighter type.[...]

Tri-clover valve, perhaps?
TC20VBUTTERFLY.jpg

If that looks similar to what you have, check out brewershardware.com for fittings to use it. A transition fitting with clamp and you'll have no worries...

Cheers!

Dr. Charlie Bamsforth talks about it on an episode of Brew Strong. I haven't listened to it yet, but I've heard Jamil mention on other episodes that it isn't much to worry about according to Dr. Bamforth. Gonna listen to that one soon.

HSA/splashing issues are another "boogeyman" for the homebrewer, that new brewer's tend to worry about (like airlock bubbling = fermentation),that don't really hold much weight in truth, you really don't need to worry about it.

Here's a detailed post explaining why it's not an issue, including a video of a commercial brewery doing the exact same thing... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stirring-enough-aeration-202286/#post2358507

Thanks for all of the replies.

The fitting you listed isn't the same. The fitting I have is just a very odd thread to it. It is 2" across with like 7 threads per inch or something goofy like that. I might just take it to a machine shop and have someone else in a 1/2" adapter into the current hole.
Thanks everyone, sucks I don't have time to work on a batch right now

Here's a pretty interesting podcast that dantheman13 just mentioned on Hot Side Aeration..

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/475

Thanks, Jake. I just finished listening to that.

Dr. Bamforth's summary: a good fermentation will clean up any oxidation that might occur during the mash. A good boil also helps to eliminate HSA oxidation. Instead, he stresses the fact that the introduction of oxygen during packaging is a bigger factor in oxidation, along with storing beer at higher temperatures.

Quite an interesting podcast!

I was taught not to splash anything untill the wort was cooled. Probably crap and old school but It's the way I brew and makes me feel safe and cozy.:mug:

You could put a mash paddle or something in front of the valve at a bit of an angle. Testing angles with water maybe, to see what would make the wort flow down the paddle and not splash too much.

Back