gelatin problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2335

Reaction score
I think I posted this under the wrong forum before....

I've used gelatin before and it worked great for me but this time I'm having a little problem. I have a pale ale that has been conditioning for about a month and 4 days ago started cold crashing at about 38 degrees. 3 days ago I added gelatin using the same procedure as last time....added 1 Tbs to 1 cup warm tap water let bloom for about 20 mins then heated to 165 degrees to dissolve then cooled slightly and poured directly into carboy then swirled around a bit. Now last time it cleared in about 3 days but this time I noticed clumps and swirls of stuff just kinda floating so I agitated it a bit and let it sit but now I see a bunch a crap in suspension not really settling out. Anyone else ever have this problem? Should I just let it sit longer?add more gelatin?

id say you have an issue other than gelatin, unless you got the gealatin to hot and it didnt do its job.

be more descriptive please, whats floating - color, appearance, etc

I'm pretty sure it was the gelatin. I'm thinking I didn't mix it in the carboy very well because it just stayed mostly top and solidified, then when I agitated it,
it just broke off in chunks and floated around. The next day I added more gelatin using the same procedure but this time mixed it up really good...now I have nice clear beer. :mug:

I use gelatin in the keg and I never mix it in, just pour it in and seal it up. So I don't think not mixing it well is your problem.

I'm pretty sure it was the gelatin. I'm thinking I didn't mix it in the carboy very well because it just stayed mostly top and solidified, then when I agitated it,
it just broke off in chunks and floated around. The next day I added more gelatin using the same procedure but this time mixed it up really good...now I have nice clear beer. :mug:

Sounds like you overheated it the first time. I usually try to let my gelatin cool down before I add it- that way, I know if it will coagulate or not. Although my patience rarely lasts that long. I did catch 1 batch before I threw it in.

If you rack carefully, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Back