kit vs kit to begin with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oligarchy

Reaction score
hi im going to be purchasing my first kit soon, finally taking the dive in.

i live down the freeway from the store that sells this kit:

http://homebrew-supplies.homebrewmart.com/shared/StoreFront/product_detail.asp?RowID=113&CS=hbm&All=

but was also looking at this kit that offers a secondary and is certainly cheaper

Austin Homebrew Supply

i know this will be my first batch and it seems the general advice is to not bother with a secondary, but if im going to be saving 35 bucks down the road id like to just get a secondary with the kit. to my untrained eyes these kits look basically the same, the 2nd with a secondary yet cheaper? :confused:

While i think its important to support local businness i also know that AHS is good about taking care of its customers. If you order from them go ahead and pick up one of the AHS Recipe Kits. The shipping will still be 6.99 and you'll be getting a product that you'll enjoy drinking in the end instead of the canned kits that many people (like me) start out with. It is possible to make good beer with the cans but i have enjoyed my Extract beers from them much more than the cans.
Welcome to the Obsession!

Edit: I prefer a secondary. There is no real rule. Some like it some do not. I have done both and prefer to use one. If you end up liking just the primary then congrats, now you have 2 primaries! you really can't lose...

The AHS kit you are referring to has a secondary, you just have to choose it.
The Deluxe kit is our most popular kit.

The link you posted for Home Brew Mart doesn't work, but since you're close to them and they're a helpful bunch of guys, I'd say, go with the kit from Home Brew Mart. You can just walk in and ask them questions about what you really need (and there's the added benefit of tasting sample at the brewery in the back).

I like AHS too and I order a lot of stuff from them.

You can't go wrong with either place.

The AHS kit you are referring to has a secondary, you just have to choose it.
The Deluxe kit is our most popular kit.

The pricing of the deluxe kit is misleading (at first glance) because even though the carboy is included in the kit, it's not included in the base price - so an extra $30-$35 dollars gets added on the base $87.

It's a great kit though, I just purchased one used on Craigslist, have done my first two brews, and everything has been great.

Latest posts

Back