Danstar Windsor Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdurning

Reaction score
Hi All
I just got a kit as a gift which included Windsor dry yeast. I've only ever used Wyeast/White Labs yeast before and used a starter each time.

I read somewhere starters are actually not advised for dry yeast- is that right? Has anyone ran into a problem or big success with this yeast?

No starters needed with dry yeast.. but you should rehydrate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Research Windsor yeast, you might not want to use it.

But if by the time you saw this you already pitched, don't freak out. You can finish off the fermentation using another strain and it will still be drinkable, if not really good.

Windsor is fine, it's just really fruity, finishes slightly sweet, and is a little less flocculant than other strains. Depending on the kit, this may be in line with what you're aiming at.

You might just have to cold crash it for a little longer is all.

I was real worried when I researched Windsor AFTER I pitched into a Chocolate-Oatmeal Stout I made recently in one half of a split 10 gallon batch. Drinking it now and I kind of enjoy it! I fermented at very low temps and don't seem to pick up any fruity-ness yet. I did however finish around 1.020 when the other batch with WYeast Scottish ale finished at 1.014.

I've used it in 2 batches of Bitters with good results. Just sprinkled it on top of the cooled wort and let it go.

Rick

I used Windsor in a beer that placed in a competition. As with all yeasts, its about pairing it with the right styles and giving it a good. environment.

I've never used Windsor. I have a pack, but after researching it, I never found a beer I wanted to use it on.

From everything I have read, it produces decent flavor. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn't attenuate well, so it is only good (In my opinion) if you like sweet beers (high FG), or you are making a low gravity beer and want to retain some malt flavor. Since I don't like sweet beers, and haven't made any low gravity beers, neither case applies to me.

Its an English yeast, so you can use it very successfully in those styles. Additionally, its great in porters, stouts, or browns. I made a bitter with last week and it fermented out great. It finishes very fast, within three days if you keep the temps in the mid 60s - the ester profile is nice in lighter beers of an English style and its covered by any chocoloate or roast malts in darker beers. If you worry about clarity, you can use gelatin to clear the beer if you have the ability to chill it. If not, and you're bottling you just need to let it condition for two to three weeks and then let it sit in your fridge for a week and the yeast will drop out making the beer very clear. It just takes time - this strain is great but if you're looking for something that is more floculant, use US 04 - like Pappers said, its all about providing the right environment and using it in the appropriate style beer.

I've never used Windsor. I have a pack, but after researching it, I never found a beer I wanted to use it on.

From everything I have read, it produces decent flavor. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn't attenuate well, so it is only good (In my opinion) if you like sweet beers (high FG), or you are making a low gravity beer and want to retain some malt flavor. Since I don't like sweet beers, and haven't made any low gravity beers, neither case applies to me.

I used it on the White House Honey Ale and it brought it from 1.053 to 1.008. An English Pale Ale recipe with honey added, basically. Perfect yeast for that beer.

Latest posts

Back