The Barley Crusher's Rubber Roller Gasket Fell Off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to be concerned about this or not. So, on the roller, there is a black rubber gasket of sorts, whose cross-section is circular. I think it's there to keep the grain from the edges of the roller. But on Tuesday, when using the mill for the third time, it came off and ended up in my mash.

Should I be concerned?

Not to worry. Mine came off as well. I emailed the manufacturer and was told that they install that o-ring in order to check the rotation of the non-driven roller after assembly. It serves no other purpose.

Thanks, john. I thought I read somewhere that it's to keep the grain out of the edges of the roller, but I guess not.

Drost: I actually saw it and took it out right at dough-in, so I'm not concerned about the beer. Even if it did sit in there through the mash, I doubt that tiny little piece of rubber would react enough to affect the beer in any perceptible way.

Evan! said:
Since it's your recipe, I'll be sure to call it "EdWort's Brown Ring of Fire Pale Ale"

That would work if you had some black moravian malt in there, but you'll have to drop the "Brown" for this batch. :D

The instruction sheet that came with mine said there's no reason to replace it as grain being crushed will turn the other roller. I've only used it once thus far, so who knows how long it will stay on there.

Evan! said:
Well, I did use 40L crystal instead of 10L...

Well, that will give you an SRM of 6 compared to a 5 which brings it much closer to a Red O-Ring than a Brown one. :cross:

Perhaps Red Ring of Fire Pale Ale is in order.

Actually...my SRM should be 11.4. Like I said, I used Victory instead of Munich (25 lovi vs. 8) and Gleneagles MO for the base (5 lovi vs 2). So...we'll see whether it's more brown or red.

Didn't mean to bastardize your recipe so much...just used the closest grains I had on hand.

My O Ring came off with the first grind. I emailed the manufacturer and Randy send me replacement O Rings and instructions on how to replace them. I haven't done that yet, but I thought it was pretty good of him to send them.

If you're interested in what he sent me to replace the ring, let me know. It seems like it may be a pain.

Back