Which temp controller should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbnguy

Reaction score
I have inherited a large chest freezer and would like to use it for my fermenting chamber. I just can't decide which temp controller would be best. The only place I can put the freezer is in the garage (don't have a basement), and I live in the Chicago area where temps can swing as much as 95 in the day to 50 overnight. So I'm thinking that a dual stage would be best?

I've spent a lot of time reading the thread about the build your own controller using the STC 1000, but am just not sure I am that electronically inclined. Not much experience in that area. I have $100 to spend. Would the Ranco Digital Temp. Controller be my best bet for $90? Any thoughts or other ideas? Would love to hear some feedback before shelling out the cash. Thanks!

I did the Ranco but it requires you to wire it. In my case I just bought an appliance extension cord from home depot and cut and installed it.

But considering you stated skills you may want to consider the Johnson controls unit I linked below. It's prewired so all you do is plug it into the wall and plug the keezer into it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00368D6JA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Happy brewing!

Last edited by a moderator:
blkandrust said:
I am on my second Johnson A419. Absolutely love them.

I have 2 and agree completely. They are awesome. Considering a 3rd for a dedicated lager mini-fridge, but am intrigued by the stc-1000 (largely b/c of the low price). You won't be disappointed by the A419.

The STC-1000 is ridiculously low priced, (less than $30 on ebay) and even though it does not have PID temperature control is still a capable unit and can control both cooling and heating.

It has relay outputs, but I'd still use some outboard relays especially if you're switching something with a high-ish inrush current (like a fridge).
Even if you purchase outboard relays and sockets it's still ridiculously cheap and I haven't heard of any failures.

Auber! I'm now up five of these http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...s_id=1&zenid=f225e3433ba1bf07b96fdaee9b85f542 for the keezer, two fermentation fridges, and now two to control Asco valves for the mash tun and lauter tun. They do require wiring and a housing, but it's not hard to do. The hardest part is cutting the correct size opening, as there is not much lip to catch. (I now cut these in stainless steel single gang box cover plates). These units have an internal relay that will handle 10 amps, so your freezer will be well handled. They have instructions right in the manual for setting up control of a beer fermentation chamber for both cooling and heating.

Since this will be in a Chicago garage you'll need heat and cold. I'd go with the stc1000. It works great, handles both hot and cold, and is ridiculously cheap. Installation is pretty easy. If you've wired an outlet you can install one of these.

Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with the STC 1000 and use the rest of the $$ on a glass carboy (still just using bucket primary only). I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited about the project. After reading more about it, I do think it is something I can do. Just ordered it off of ebay tonight for $23.99!

Tbnguy said:
Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with the STC 1000 and use the rest of the $$ on a glass carboy (still just using bucket primary only). I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited about the project. After reading more about it, I do think it is something I can do. Just ordered it off of ebay tonight for $23.99!

Awesome! Keep us updated on the build

I just did mine and it was pretty easy. Just follow the wiring diagrams and you shouldn't have any problems. The hardest part was cutting the project box to make it fit.

Just got finished building it and it seems to be working!!! Not too hard even for someone with little experience like me if you have the time. :ban:

Latest posts

Back