Boiling Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
What should I do to it? Must I leave the foam away from boiling batch?
Thank you.

If you add irish moss to wort then foaming increases. What you recommend?

If you are talking about the hot break, it will go away and be absorbed back into the boil. Just make sure you don't boil over and you should be fine.

One of those cheap plastic stir paddles works wonders on hot break foam. They look like this:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/28-stirring-paddle-plastic.html

And most people don't know how to use them right, but i'll let you in on the secret:

Don't stir the whole pot! If you get the wort spinning, the steam bubbles build up under the surface and pop up all at once risking a quick ugly boil-over. Instead, use the tip of the paddle, you know, the part with all the holes in it, and whip it back and forth quickly through the foam only. This breaks up all the bubbles and gets you through the hot break time much more quickly than turning the heat down and blowing on it for 20 minutes :D

I use a spray bottle with water. Make sure its on the "mist" setting and just spray the hot break until it goes away. It works great

I gently blow on the bubbles to get them to go away. I never thought about a spray bottle. I may do that next time.

I use a spray bottle with water. Make sure its on the "mist" setting and just spray the hot break until it goes away. It works great

+1

Hit it with a spray of water. It'll subside. If it comes back up, repeat as necessary until it learns it's lesson.

If you're talking about hot break, I do as other's do and spoon some off as I'm starting the boil. Then I don't worry about the rest.

If you're talking about just general foaming over when you're boiling, boil a little less vigorously and/or get some fermcap. It's great stuff! A few drops and the foam goes right down.

Latest posts

Back