CO2 tanks universal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dttk0009

Reaction score
Long story short, I found a store that sells various tanks here in Bangkok, and they also had a small, nifty CO2 tank for sale. My question is: Are CO2 tanks universal? The regulators they had for sale weren't dual gauge, but rather, they looked like this:
Gentec-195AR-60-ar-CO2-argon-compressed-gas-regulator-photo.jpg

If I buy a regulator from a homebrew site would it fit onto the tank?

Are you sure it is co2. That reg looks like the one I have for argon for welding. Co2 regs are very specific. They have to be co2 regs.

She insisted that it's CO2, but maybe I'll check out another shop. The box clearly said 'Carbon Dioxide Regulator' on it but hey, this is Asia so you never know. I guess it might be safer to take another look around.

That looks like the CO2 regulator and flowmeter I have seen commonly used in fish tanks.

That is a co2 regulator for regulating flow. Used generally for enhancing growing plants. The electrical plug feeds a solenoid so that it can be put on a timer for when the fans are off in a grow area so you don't suck out the co2 enrichment. That is for a grow op dude. Don't ask how I know

Unless there is some weird kind of co2 tank in bangkok (covers balls), i think you will be just fine. The connection on the regulator you pictured looked standard.

The European tanks have a different thread on the tanks. You have to find out if the tanks have the us spec threads. I have no idea what they use in Asia.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll hold off on my order for that regulator from the states. I'll stop by that tank store after work today and see what the deal is. It's a shame they don't sell the proper dual-gauge regulators there else I'd be set.

The common industrial/beverage Co2 cylinder in the states has a CGA (Compressed Gas Association) 320 fitting. The regulator with the extension cord looks like a heated regulator, [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1429&bih=822&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=heated+co2+regulator&oq=heated+co2+regulator&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=152560l167639l0l22l21l1l11l1l0l246l1390l1.7.1l9"]here[/ame] is a google image search for heated Co2 regulators.

They were originally designed for mig welding applications. Co2 is in a liquid state in the cylinder, the liquid has to change to gas in the head space provided the cylinder. If your drawing gas out of the cylinder at a high rate such as welding you can frost/freeze the regulator.

Regulator Nut, Nipple and gasket

cga320set.jpg

Co2 Cylinder Valve

co2 cylinder valve.jpeg

Is it possible that these stores can carry different fittings for their cylinders? I can't imagine that ALL the CO2 tanks here are from Europe, especially since the guy who's donating me his keg has a CO2 tank with a dual gauge regulator (provided by coke).

Update: Found a retailer and he said that he sells tanks that can support the American format, which he called CGA320. Would a normal, US store bought regulator fit this?

Edit - Derp, bad67z's post already answers my question. Pretty stoked on finding this guy as he's selling the 5lb tank for roughly $30. Guess that's what I'll go for. Thanks for all the help in this thread!

For those of us reading this thread some time later, could you possibly post some contact information for these shops you found, or even a vague location?

Back