DFH Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
Buddy of mine bought a full keg of DF90...he tried to kill this thing over several months of drinking on it.. Anyhow, he decided to give me the keg in exchange for the deposit...

SCORE - I plan to bottle the beer and keep the keg as a kettle!

That IS theft btw. Whether or not you care, doesn't really matter to me. Just making sure you know that (and that it's kind of lame to be bragging about it.)

Those things cost the brewery $130+ to replace. I wouldn't steal one, but if you're going to then why steal from a craft beer supporter like Dogfish? That's biting the hand that feeds you.

Those things cost the brewery $130+ to replace. I wouldn't steal one, but if you're going to then why steal from a craft beer supporter like Dogfish? That's biting the hand that feeds you.

This.

Anyone that makes it even incrementally more difficult for DFH to do their thing is no friend of mine. Heck, I'm going to go buy a 4-pack of 90 Minute right now to offset your foolishness.

Yeah trade that thing in to your distributor for a 1/2 of BMC, have a party, and dont steal (just plan to return it 100 years later) that one.

OMG, that is the illegalz! :D I could care less what you do, but I'm guessing it's not a half barrel like you're thinking. If so holy crap I bet that keg of beer was expensive.

So let me get this straight... everyone on here who has modified a keg for brewing is a thief UNLESS your keggle is from BMC; then it's alright? :confused:

So let me get this straight... everyone on here who has modified a keg for brewing is a thief UNLESS your keggle is from BMC; then it's alright? :confused:

Ha yea, moral police have low morals.

Its not ok to steal from your poor neighbor but its ok to steal from your rich neighbor.

I guess our government has that mentality too. The more money you make the more money we take.

lol, what exactly is DFH "feeding" me?

my local liquor store has 120 listed on their keg list. 30L i believe and expensive obviously, but I still smile when i think about some unsuspecting fool ordering one of those not knowing exactly what it is.

No, everyone who stole a keg to make a keggle is a thief (whether or not it's from BMC). Whether or not it's "alright" is a moral decision (like I said, I wouldn't do it at all, be it from InBev or Dogfish).

Not everyone who makes a keggle stole the keg to make it from, though. You can buy a keg legitimately--it'll usually cost you a lot more than a keg deposit.

I bought both of mine from a local metal scrapyard. We all know those kegs were probably "stolen" from a liquor store or whatever, but I got them at a point where they were about to be crushed. So I was saving it, not stealing it.

However, I don't have a problem with leaving a deposit and keeping a keg. That's just my personal opinion, though.

Yo Beer_Maker -- what's with the F clef man? Are you a musician? I'm a bassist. Jaythebassist.

I got mine from my parents backyard. When they bought the house, it was sitting there, just begging to be turned into a keggle.

Sure I guess the Mother Theresa thing to do would be to take it back to the distributor to ultimately be returned to Anheiser Busch, but how do I know that the previous owner didnt buy it legally in the first place? Plus, many distributors dont even accept kegs unless you have a receipt with them.

On a side note, how illegal (immoral) is it if you "borrow" a sankey or two for a few months to ferment in until you have enough cornies that you can return them? Thats what I am planning on doing. If I want to make another keggle, I will try the scrapyard.

Ahahaha...you guy's are crazy! These things are on CL all day long for >50. Would that still make me a thief if I purchased it that way???

Did you miss the part about me paying said buddy for his money tied up in the deposit that he will not get?

Please! This makes me rofl...really.

OK...I keep said keg in my garage (so not cut it) for the next party does that make me a thief? I mean really....

How much is a keg of 90min? I pay about $10 for a 4-pack. I would love to have a keg of 90 min.

I recently bought a keg of Denver Pale Ale and the Store told me that if I did not return it in 30 days they keep my deposit and the keg is mine

I recently bought a keg of Denver Pale Ale and the Store told me that if I did not return it in 30 days they keep my deposit and the keg is mine

My local grocery store does the same thing. My transaction is with them not the brewery. I have tried to obtain a used keg from my local distributors, the local craft brewery and they all have told me no that they won't sell their retired kegs. I could go to the scrapyard and buy one there but those aren't any more legit than going the "keep my deposit" route.

Ahahaha...you guy's are crazy! These things are on CL all day long for >50. Would that still make me a thief if I purchased it that way???

No, if you pay someone to purchase a keg that isn't stolen that's fine.

Did you miss the part about me paying said buddy for his money tied up in the deposit that he will not get?

That's the sketchy part. The deposits aren't nearly enough to cover the cost of the keg--they're just there to help ensure you bring the keg back. But if you intentionally fail to do that, that's stealing (legally). This has been discussed here ad nauseum in the past.

Yes, if you buy a stolen item from someone, knowing that's stolen, then you too are a thief. At least in the technical, legal sense. I could give two you-know-whats whether you do or not, but, like others, and considering that many on this forum frown on such practices, it probably wasn't advisable to broadcast this plan to the masses.

The deposits aren't nearly enough to cover the cost of the keg
Sounds like a problem - but not mine!

Thief - ??? Call me what you want but I stick to my original statement - SCORE...half of a keg of DF90 worth $175 and finally a GIANT kettle for $50 bucks!

Yes, if you buy a stolen item from someone, knowing that's stolen, then you too are a thief. At least in the technical, legal sense. I could give two you-know-whats whether you do or not, but, like others, and considering that many on this forum frown on such practices, it probably wasn't advisable to broadcast this plan to the masses.

I guess I have done some pretty shady things in my life to look at not returning a keg to an "unknown" location for the sake of benefiting AHB to feel not one ounce of guilt.... One keg acquired - two more to go!

WOW!!!

the funny thing is that.. i was calling around trying to find out away to aquire/buy a retired keg from the distributer... legally. they told me that people are always calling them trying to return the keg that they lost their deposit on just to get rid of it.. but neither the grocer or the distributor will take them back.. so they complain that "what am i going to do with this thing.~ relaid message from secretary at the distribution center of other people calling"

so my point is that, would this be stealing when no one will take the keg back but a scrap yard? or do you just have it sitting around until somewhere in time someone will claim it?

in my opinion, after that i would say its free game to do what ever you want with it. plus i wish i could score a keg of dfh 90 min for 50 dollars.

Why go through the process of "acquiring" a keg when you can just get one from the local recycle depot for about a $1.50 per lb......comes out to about 45 bucks for a retired keg.

Why go through the process of "acquiring" a keg when you can just get one from the local recycle depot for about a $1.50 per lb......comes out to about 45 bucks for a retired keg.

or for $5 more get a half a keg of DF90.

No, if you pay someone to purchase a keg that isn't stolen that's fine.

That's the sketchy part. The deposits aren't nearly enough to cover the cost of the keg--they're just there to help ensure you bring the keg back. But if you intentionally fail to do that, that's stealing (legally). This has been discussed here ad nauseum in the past.

Ok the whole term "stealing legally" doesn't exist. Its their fault for not pricing the deposit to cover the keg... Makes no sense to me.

Also receiving stolen property in the eyes of the law is almost just as bad as stealing to begin with.

The way I look at it, you pay the deposit legally its yours until returned for refund, you didn't steal it for money by scrapping or resale, and your supporting the hobby that MAINLY funds craft brew. More power to you, some people are just too liberal.

Ok the whole term "stealing legally" doesn't exist. Its their fault for not pricing the deposit to cover the keg... Makes no sense to me.

Also receiving stolen property in the eyes of the law is almost just as bad as stealing to begin with.

The way I look at it, you pay the deposit legally its yours until returned for refund, you didn't steal it for money by scrapping or resale, and your supporting the hobby that MAINLY funds craft brew. More power to you, some people are just too liberal.

He means "stealing (according to the law)", NOT "stealing (but legal)", Mr. Hawking

Dude, be quiet. ATF is watching - they're everywhere! :p

No ****! I mean...black ops is hanging outside my house waiting for me to open my garage - need to confirm that I cut an AHB keg before they roll the extraction team in!!!

Chill....I have to empty the beer out of it first before breaking the law!!! So for all you law abiding citizens out there....I haven't broken any laws....yet :D

Which store is this, Argonaut? I am sure GD would love to know who is selling their kegs for the $30 deposit (assuming it's $30, which many in CO are).

He means "stealing (according to the law)", NOT "stealing (but legal)", Mr. Hawking

Thanks.

It's pretty obvious to everyone involved what's going on--simply yelling "Yo dude, score!" is a pretty good indicator that you know you "pulled something off". If you think stealing isn't a moral issue, that's up to you; personally, I couldn't live with it.

Or, more to the point, just go explain to the cops what you did. If you really believe it's legal, then going and telling the authorities shouldn't bug you. If you think that it'd get you into hot water, that should be a pretty good indicator that whatever your HBT bluster is, you know you're committing a crime.

Thanks.

It's pretty obvious to everyone involved what's going on--simply yelling "Yo dude, score!" is a pretty good indicator that you know you "pulled something off". If you think stealing isn't a moral issue, that's up to you; personally, I couldn't live with it.

Or, more to the point, just go explain to the cops what you did. If you really believe it's legal, then going and telling the authorities shouldn't bug you. If you think that it'd get you into hot water, that should be a pretty good indicator that whatever your HBT bluster is, you know you're committing a crime.

What is up with all the moral authority? Get over it. I think that the first documentary I ever saw about DFH I saw Sam brewing on a 3 keg system. I wonder, did he acquire his first kegs legit?

What is up with all the moral authority?

What moral authority? I explicitly left the moral decisionmaking up to you--that's why I said "If you think stealing isn't a moral issue, that's up to you; personally, I couldn't live with it." if you're cool with stealing, have at it! I'm not gonna set your morals.

The legal authority is pretty clear (and legally, it is stealing), but decide the morals on your own.

Back