sulfur ferment smell & raisin tasting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc_brewer

Reaction score
I am new to brewing (this is my first post here as well). Anyway, I brewed an amber about a month ago, and i had that sulfur smell like crazy during fermentation. Subsequently, two things happened. 1- i am no longer allowed to ferment in the closet. 2- My beer tasted like it had prune juice poured into it! Could the latter be caused by stressed yeast or something? Cheers! :rockin:

Tell us what your recipe was, what yeast you used, fermentation temps, and how exactly it tastes like prune juice (specific flavors/tastes would be helpful) and we'll be able to help a lot more. For all I know you could have chucked 8 pounds of old raisins into secondary :)

Unfortunately, this was a batch my neighbor bought the ingredients for and he washed the recipe in his pants :( I know that fermentation happened at around 66 to 68 degrees, we used a smack pack yeast (which we forgot to sanitize before cutting open and pitching), and it was an extract with specialty grain brew. It spent a week in primary and a week in secondary. No raisins in secondary, but it had what i could describe as a "prune juice"-like taste that I could detect even when we put it in primary. That taste has mellowed out a bit in the 3rd week of bottle conditioning, but its still kinda there. Other than that its drinkable with a decent amount of carbonation, a heavy barley taste, and a more floral hop taste. I guess my inquiry was that since we had that sulfur smell during primary, if that kind of "raisin-like" flavor is common at all to a certain element of the fermentation, or if it is a bacterial taste since we did not sanitize the smack pack before pitching. Thanks for the response :)

Without a recipe it is hard to tell, but if Special B was one of your specialty grains, that could be where the dried fruit flavor is coming from. Some of the darker crystal malts can give similar flavors as well.

Latest posts

Back