New Brewer from Lancaster, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broadbeer

Reaction score
Just starting out! I'm so relieved to have an awesome forum for some guidance. I've been hanging out in this forum and have learned so much.
I haven't started my first batch yet but I've been reading and collecting my supplies. Any advise on a secondary fermenting and the use of honey for fermentation and priming would be appreciated. I have two car boys. One is 6.5 gallons and I'd like to transfer to the second carboy for further fermentation to minimize sediment in the bottles. Not sure if this is a wise idea, or if there is a better way to keep the sediment out. Worried about carbonation and fermentation in the secondary.

welcome to the obsession! Carboys are fine for both fermenting and secondary. You may want to use a blowoff tube for the primary. I ferment in a bucket and have never had the problem of blowoffs personally. The secondary is just a clearing tank in actuallity and just helps drop out most of the remaining sediment. Haven't ever used honey for carbonation so will let someone else comment on that. Alot of people don't even use a secondary. I do if I have plenty of time and there is still something to drink while waiting otherwise just keg it. Have fun and enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: I am a novice, so I may be very wrong.

I have made a honey red batch yesterday and am planning on priming with honey as well. I see alot of measurements for honey in LBS and oz and not something simple like "cups".
I used 1 lbs (which is 1 cup) of honey in the wort after I removed it from the boil, I stirred it in and then chilled the wort. From what I have found and read yeast will convert the honey. For priming I am going to use 4 oz.(1/2 a cup). This is for a 5 gallon batch..... I will be watching this thread because honey is FTW! Good Luck

Thanks for the advise.
I may try the bucket instead.
Seems like the more popular way to go.
Thanks again!

Zamial,
That is a huge help on the honey. I think you're on to something.
I've heard similar measurements.
Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Welcome to HBT! I think you will find that small amounts of Honey adds very little flavor to a brew - but it does kick up the gravity readings. It is highly fermentable, but probably a little more slow to completely ferment.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to add some honey flavor to your brew, adding a little bit at bottling time isn't going to do much in the way of added flavor, and will probably increase the time until the beer carbs up.

That said - it's your beer. Enjoy your brewing & try out whatever you like.

XXguy,
Thanks for the feedback.
It's good to hear the pros and cons.
Sounds like you've had experience with it.
I've been wanting to try a rich organic clover honey mostly for priming.
How long would you recommend for proper carbonation?
Thanks

I'm not the expert on it, other than trying what you're asking about & failing to get any real flavor from the honey added at priming.

There are recipes in the recipe database that use honey. I'd tell you to look through there if you want to try to get more information & ideas with proven results.

XXguy,
Hey there's an idea! Sorry, I'm kinda new to the forum so I guess I have
some more exploring to do.
Thanks again!

No problem - HBT has a ton of info already written, just finding it & learning it is half the battle.

Good luck with it !

Thanks for the welcome!
Looking forward to stopping there and checking it out.
I have to say that Lancaster Homebrew has been awesome as well!
Great guys!

Another nearby brewer :mug:

I moved from Lancaster to Lebanon last year. I've been hitting up Lancaster Homebrew lately and they've been pretty good to me. Mark is a super nice guy and pretty accommodating. I'm still relatively new to brewing (just tossed batch #6 into the primary on saturday). There really are a ton of resources available on the forums :)

I've been to the three main stores in the relative area, Lancaster Homebrew, Mr Steve's, and Scotzin Bros. I hit up Mark at Lancaster Homebrew a lot since I go to HACC Lancaster 4 days a week. If Mark doesn't have what you need there's a pretty large store in Lemoyne called Scotzin Bros. They have weird ass hours though. Wednesday and Saturdays only.

Anyhow I'm only 45 min a way depending on how fast you drive on 283.

Smokinghole,
I have to say that I absolutely love your username!
4 days a week you are two minutes from me. Just moved to LS. It's nice to know a local.
I'll have to try out the Scotzin place.
Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome!
Looking forward to stopping there and checking it out.
I have to say that Lancaster Homebrew has been awesome as well!
Great guys!

Welcome! I'm from Lanco as well, Marietta to be exact.

Lancaster Homebrew is a great store. Mark is great, tries to know all this regulars and semi-regulars (like me).

I will say, homebrewing is like crack, you WILL get hooked.

I bought all my equipment and made a batch, fully intended to make a batch every 2 months or so. 2 months later, and 3 batches later....

How's so? What's wrong with it?

I've visited the original store many times before he moved over by the mall in York.

So your saying the new place in Lancaster is bad?

I've been to the Lancaster store once, and had a semi-bad experience. I only shop at Lancaster Home Brew now.

Another nearby brewer :mug:

I moved from Lancaster to Lebanon last year. I've been hitting up Lancaster Homebrew lately and they've been pretty good to me. Mark is a super nice guy and pretty accommodating. I'm still relatively new to brewing (just tossed batch #6 into the primary on saturday). There really are a ton of resources available on the forums :)

:mug:

Perhaps some sort of local homebrewers cookout is in order this summer...

1990dtgl98,
I'm sure you're right about the "crack".
Can’t even blame this one on peer pressure!

"Perhaps some sort of local homebrewers cookout is in order this summer..."

Don't get me started Lancastrians!
I'm up for that. A pavilion, kegs, and burgers, I'm there!
Just give me a while to get my first batch together and you can
all drink at your own risk.

At the risk of stepping on anyone's toes, let's do this!
First Annual Lancaster County (all are welcome) Home brewer's Cookout? Festival would sound better
but I'm not renting a moon bounce for you all. Sorry. Hmmm beer + moon bounce…..
Any suggested dates and locations?

1990dtgl98,
I'm sure you're right about the "crack".
Can’t even blame this one on peer pressure!

"Perhaps some sort of local homebrewers cookout is in order this summer..."

Don't get me started Lancastrians!
I'm up for that. A pavilion, kegs, and burgers, I'm there!
Just give me a while to get my first batch together and you can
all drink at your own risk.

:D

I'm down for a cookout.

At the risk of stepping on anyone's toes, let's do this!
First Annual Lancaster County (all are welcome) Home brewer's Cookout? Festival would sound better
but I'm not renting a moon bounce for you all. Sorry. Hmmm beer + moon bounce…..
Any suggested dates and locations?

Hey, beer and food. I'm game. Depending on how many might want to come, my place might work fine. 2 of the neighbors on my street also home brew, so I' sure they'd bring some brews over and join in.

If not, there are a few parks I can think of (Chickies Rock is nearby to me and I know they have a ton of different little pavillions, etc)....not sure the rules/regulations of them though.

I'm getting married in mid May, so I may not be free till early June. :tank:

Parks usually have a "no alcohol" rule, so it would have to be someone's property.
I'm thinking early July or early August.
1990dtgl98
Congrats on the marriage! Just did that in November myself.

Whomever stated that Mr. Steve's was an awful store has no reason to state this, and that is VERY misleading. It is obviously his opinion, which he is entitled to, but Mr. Steve's stocks pretty much everything you could ask for, AND is very reasonably priced. Plus, sometimes he'll throw something in free or cheap for you. He's very customer focused and a great all around guy.

I highly recommend his stores to anybody in the area.

Snevey,
Thanks for the info.
I'll be stopping there and checking it out.
I've heard mostly great things.
Thanks

+1 for lhb and mark

mr steves is good too. never had a bad experience and usually a little cheaper than lhb.

I'll go to either. if I'm at work lhb is closer and if I'm at home mr steves is.

Man, I wish I was anywhere near you guys....But since I am not, I will give up some appropriate "beerbq" recipes and ideas of mine.

Fubar chicken and 'shrooms.

Needed:

1 - 3-3/12 lbs chicken (preferably dead, featherless and cleaned. If it isn't, make it that way.)
1 - 6 pack of beer in cans not chilled (since we probably are not canning you will have to buy it, resist all urges to drink it, this will all be explained and used! I suggest any Miller/Coors product that is not a "light" beer.)
1 - large package of baby button white mushrooms whole
1 - lbs of bacon
1 - package of bamboo skewers (Or if you are Mr. Fancy and have metal ones use those but I suggest having 1 skewer per person as this reduces fighting.)
1 - clove of garlic
3 - tbl spn of butter
1 - bottle of liquid smoke
1 - bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (anything else simply will not do and is NOT bbq sauce.)
-some salt and pepper
5 gallons or equivalent of home brew (or have 4-5 guests come over and each bring a 12 pack. Let's face it is is easy to drink more than 12 beers in a normal cook out time frame AND I suggest a "swap" of 1 bottle each.)
some nice chilled mugs (1 per person to USE).

PREP: Before you light the grill you are going to need to do some prep.

Step 1:
If using the bamboo skewers they will need to soak in water for at least an hour.
Step 2:
Grab a HB beer for you.
Step 3:
Get out a cooking pot that all the Shrooms will fit in and be able to float off the bottom. Add in 2 full cans of the "6 pack" (they need to float.) the butter and chopped garlic clove. boil it until the 'shrooms are a nice brown/grey color (cooked).( Note: This is boiling beer, we have all seen it, watch for the "boil over" and reduce heat as needed or face the wrath of SWMBO!) Turn off the stove and remove them from the pot to cool. (Use a spoon not your fingers!) A plate works well for the cooling. Use a paper towel to at least wipe off the stove to keep SWMBO from yelling at you for making a mess.
NOTE: Feel free to sample a 'shroom at this point this is how I like them with my steak but you invited guests and are not serving steak are you?
Step 4:
Get 2nd HB beer and drink it half down (you do not need to slam it.), wash your hands (with soap and water), grab a cutting board, a sharp knife, the skewers, a new plate and the bacon. Cut the package of bacon in half and pull out all the bacon pieces. (This is easier to do if the bacon package is unopened.) Do NOT place the knife in the sink, SWMBO may cut herself! set it next to the sink! Now carefully wrap each 'shroom with 1/2 a strip of bacon and skewer it. The bacon is slippery and the 'shrooms are kinda slimy so be careful! once you have all the 'shrooms on the skewers you may need to adjust them so they are split up fairly even.
Step 5:
Wash your hands again (soap and water....) and while you are at the sink may as well wash the dirty pot, plate, cutting board and knife. A happy SWMBO is key to these events! Finish your 2nd HB beer you are doing well!
Step 6:
Prep the chicken! Get a plate (the one you just washed will do just fine.)remove chicken from package, rince it off and make sure there is not a gibblet pack, neck or blood paper stuck to it. Set it on the plate. Wash your hands (yes, I know it gets old but just do it...geez.) grab HB beer 3 for you and the 3rd "6pack" can. take a nice drink off the HB, open up the can and pour 1/3 of it down the drain, while saying something like,"This is for my hommies that couldn't be here today." (It makes you look incredibly cool to SWMBO or early guests or it makes you laugh a bit, whatever you need to do to not cry about it!) add in liquid smoke to the can to replace the beer you dumped. (It does not need to be filled to the top of the can! discretion use some.) Now make the tab on the can vertical, carefuly insert can into the "backside of the chicken" (it's the bigger of the 2 openings), tab first, without spilling the contents of the can. You better be doing this over the sink...... No carefully skewer the chicken through its ribs (under the wings) so that as it is passing through the chicken you get the can tab. The idea is that this skewer will help hold the can in the chicken.) Set chicken on plate. Wash hands and finish you 3rd HB. sprinkle some liquid smoke on the outside of the chicken and add on some salt and pepper. Clean up any mess, you are ready for guests and grilling!
Step 7:
Light the grill as guests are arriving, since this is a "guy thing" HB should most defiantly be involved in some sort of symbolic toast.(turn heat to medium or let coals get to the correct "readiness" and move them to the edge of the grill making a "ring".
Step 8:
Place chicken on center of the grill with the can bottom facing down. Cover and let cook, it will take about an hour to fully cook.(This is a great time to discuss,plan and drink HB w/ your guests.) At about the 1/2 way point slather that Sweet Baby Rays all over the outside of the bird. With about 15 min or so left on the bird grab those 'shrooms and COVER them in Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. NOTE: As the bacon cooks it is going to cause fires, just do the best you can to not fully incinerate the bird or the 'shrooms. A water bottle may help. If the BBQ sauce gets a little "blackened" that is ok, it will still taste good.
Side note: You may want to grill up some corn-on-the-cob as this meal has 0 veggies in it, If this is the case I would grill the corn up while then chicken is cooking in the 1st 30 min. the stick it in aluminum foil or a turkey pot to keep warm.
Step 8:
Remove the skewer from bird, then carefully remove the bird, (leaving the can on the grill) and 'shrooms, turn off grill if possible. Divide food make a toast, and thank the God of beers for the great food and new friends to share it with! enjoy

After diner fun:
Mystery beer. Zomg why o why would you do this? "I say why is it always why, when how is so much more fun." Since, you have a gathering of local home brewers in 1 place why not make a batch while you drink some. But it is unfair to ask the host to supply everything. So host, ask each guest to also bring 1 or 2 ingredients and make a mystery beer! Be brave and adventurous! It also gives a great reason to have another gathering. If no one ever alters anything we will never discover anything.

Good luck!

Whomever stated that Mr. Steve's was an awful store has no reason to state this, and that is VERY misleading. It is obviously his opinion, which he is entitled to, but Mr. Steve's stocks pretty much everything you could ask for, AND is very reasonably priced. Plus, sometimes he'll throw something in free or cheap for you. He's very customer focused and a great all around guy.

I highly recommend his stores to anybody in the area.

Opinions. :mug:

I'm not denying he has great selection, and some prices are lower than LHB, but I got some shotty service the only time I was at the Lancaster store. Never went back after.

I might have to try the York store sometime though.

Man, I wish I was anywhere near you guys....But since I am not, I will give up some appropriate "beerbq" recipes and ideas of mine.

Fubar chicken and 'shrooms.

Good luck!

Sounds pretty good to me! :ban:

A cookout/festival sounds great. Depending on the timing (summer weekends are already filling up fast) I would definitely be interested in getting together with a bunch of local fellow HBers.

As for the LHBS's I am just thrilled to finally have 1 let alone 2 to choose from in Lancaster. I have been to Mr. Steve's once and had a fine experience, then LHB opened and it is a bit closer to me and Mark is a great guy. Always greets me by name when I come in, always up for a chat about all things homebrew, and if he doesn't have what you need he will gladly order it for you. All in all though, like I said, I am just thrilled to actually have a LHBS in Lancaster. Let's keep supporting them so that they will both be in business for years to come!!

It is nice to have so many at my disposal. I haven't been to Mr Steves in Lancaster but I have been to the one in York. Nothing to complain about. I find that one store might be cheaper on certain things but not on others. They all for the most part carry the same stuff, but the Scotzin Bros store in Lemoyne has an overwhelming selection of pretty much anything you want concerning wine/beer. The only thing is they have weird hours. Plus it's more convenient for me to go to LHB.

Welcome Broadbeer -- your post title caught my eye. I'm from Lancaster as well (Landisville to be exact) now living in Tucson. It sounds like you already got a lot of the advice you were looking for...and a cookout scheduled as well! Lancaster's a great place.

I used honey for priming on the first batch I ever brewed (a Belgian Tripel) and had a few lessons learned. I would say that based on my experience, dissolving it in some boiling water to sterilize and make it less viscous would definitely be helpful. I was going by the instructions since it was my first time and it just said to add the honey to the bottling bucket. I knew this was probably not a great idea from the get go but I figured I'd just follow the directions and take notes for next time. I tried to swirl and stir gently with the racking cane but I was left with about 25% of the honey in the bottom of the bucket after bottling. The beer turned out fine and was actually a bit over carbonated -- I couldn't really detect any flavor from the honey, but maybe without it it would have tasted different and I just didn't realize its impact. I plan on doing some more experimentation with this in the future.

Good luck and say hello the the Red Rose city for me!

Semi-nearby youse guys. I didnt know that there was a good homebrew store in LANKaster :)

Since it's a good 30-40 minutes to Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville, I might pop over to your store instead. About the same ride given the traffic.

I would say that based on my experience, dissolving it in some boiling water to sterilize and make it less viscous would definitely be helpful... I plan on doing some more experimentation with this in the future.

I just want to point out a few things. I have read, been told and practice, that when brewing with honey, you should never boil it! I have made a honey ale as well, my last batch, and plan to use honey to prime it and possibly every beer I make going forward. (I also have some other "experiments" that I will be working on...) I bring however much water to a boil, remove water from heat and mix in the honey, then add this to the beer for priming.
When adding it into the wort (during boiling)I use a glass, sanitized measuring cup that has the honey I want to add in it. I wait until 60 min has past, turn off my flame, stir the wort and wait just a few seconds for the boil to stop, Then carefully hold/dip the cup into the hot wort and use the cup to re-stir the wort.

There are just a few qualities of honey that I want to also share. I use 100% natural, unpasteurized, bought from Amish bee keepers honey. I buy it in bulk and late in the season so it is cheaper! This is the ONLY honey I will use (not just in beer). Honey will separate but never go bad (If this happens just add the glass jar to warm water and it will melt and remix into all liquid.), it acts like a natural preservative and a sugar. It does not need to be pasteurized but honey in the store is. Pasteurization will kill natural, good for you enzymes in the honey! Honey in the store can be diluted up to 20% with water and still be labeled as pure. Never brew with anything labeled as "honey sauce" it is a unnatural. :mug:

Most recipes will call for a weight of honey in lbs. the conversion since I have no way to weight it is: 1 lb is 8 liquid oz or 1 cup. In any recipe that you want to sub honey into in place of sugar I use this formula: Anything under 1/2 a cup sugar use equal parts. Anything over 1 cup of sugar use 2/3 of a cup of honey because it tastes sweeter than sugar!

Disclaimer: I am a brew noob here, but I am well read and just trying to be helpful. :)

Semi-nearby youse guys. I didnt know that there was a good homebrew store in LANKaster :)

Since it's a good 30-40 minutes to Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville, I might pop over to your store instead. About the same ride given the traffic.

there is a place in Downingtown now too.

Just went there today. Proprietor (Mike) is a good guy. Nice selection and good prices for a new store. They are having a homebrew festival on May 1 behind the store.

Of course, afterward I drove the 3 minutes to Victory and had a nice glass of Hop Wallop with a burger. Today is a good day.

Back