Weldless or Welded? Which is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
About a year ago i moved from 2 acres in the country to a home in town, and went from 3 hours worth of mowing on a rider to 20 min pushing. Needless to say i do not need my rider anymore and sold it this morn for 350. This cash couple with my Fantasy football winnings will be enough for a meduim sized SS conical fermenter.

My question is which is better? the ones from Blichman ( i think that is the name) say they have weldless ones and they are the only way to go. Morebeer.com says theirs are welded and that is the only way to go.

For those of you out there that have one (or two Brew pastor) which is the better way to go?

WELDED!!! No leaks, strong design, nothing to replace. Although the weldless design allows you to take them apart for cleaning, I find them to be flimsy and temperamental.

I agree with Yuri - weldless is just for us poor saps that don't know how to weld and don't know any welders

You should build one ;)

Actually, I like the ones from More Beer - if you have the cash, go for it. The Fermenator is nice as well, but I made some improvements (IMHO) when I copied its design.

what did the cash out of pocket end up being for yours Yuri?

I found a link when i googled conical fermenter and found another dude that built one and had links to the stores where all of his parts came from and prices, i think he said it was around 280. I dont know how to weld but a buddy does and he is very good with SS welding.

It's rapidly approaching the $400 mark...in part due to shipping costs (small town, no one deals in stainless here), and in part because of all of the experiments in sealing the lid.

Even without the shipping costs and experimentation, mine are more expensive than his for several reasons:
21 gallon hoppers
3 piece ball valves - the dump valve is a massive 1" full port
A rotating racking arm (yeah...that's a weldless design...dammit)
The corny keg lid conversion

That said, his minimalist approach will net you a stainless fermenter for pretty cheap!

My problem is without ever being in the presence of a conical, I need to know that it will work from the get go. I may order one the first time out and if i get a hair to build one then i will get ahold of you for the specifics. I imagine a 12 gallon conical will only make me enough beer at one time for about a year then i will be itching to make a larger batch.

Sounds like welded is the way to go though.

Thank you Mr. Rage

Yuri_Rage said:
WELDED!!! No leaks, strong design, nothing to replace. Although the weldless design allows you to take them apart for cleaning, I find them to be flimsy and temperamental.

Yuri should start a Monster Brewing show.

Cheesefood said:
Yuri should start a Monster Brewing show.
Eh, I think I'm still a bit behind BrewPastor and Monster Mash in terms of equipment. I've just been quite outspoken about my projects lately. Maybe I should stop drinking Arrogant Bastard.

...Nah...

Back