Warrior and Willamette hops in an Am.Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Looking to do an American Brown Ale using US hops and I'm not a big fan of the C's in most brown ales that i've had, so I was thinking about using Warrior and Willamette, is this an ok combo? Was thinking about Cluster, but I couldn't find much of a flavor profile for it, other than cat pissy from some threads.

PM 5 gal something like

5 lbs. Light DME
3 lbs. Maris Otter
.5 lbs. Honey Malt, Biscuit Malt, Flaked wheat, Special Roast
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt

Warrior is a good bittering hop. I use it a lot for bittering and occasionally for a late edition in small amounts. It is pretty clean. Williamette is great for brown ales, you won't get that C-hop character you don't like. It will give you a little light fruit but it is MUCH more earth when compared to C-hops flavor. Good luck.

I agree - Williamette is a must for brown ales as a late addition hop.

I believe DogFish Head uses Warrior as the bittering hop for their India Brown Ale?

I love Warrior as a bittering hop for IPAs, but in a brown I'd hold it to 0.5 oz or less.

well, brewshop was out of Willamette, so I went with Cluster, any ideas on how that might play out?

Cluster doesn't have an American Citrus character, but it is different that Willamette.

I think of Cluster as a spicy noble hop with a little dark fruit tossed in. Should be nice in a brown.

Back