What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wonder if my janitorial engineer background counts....so I will vote as an engineer.

beerloaf

wait...do we have to pass the PE!?

Good point. I never did that. Just got the degree and worked five years as an engineer. And I'm not a design engineer anymore (though I regularly work with them.)

And the right side of my brain would also like to say that it has an MFA in fiction writing and a handful of published pieces, and that it's definitely my interest in cooking that led me to brewing, so take that, left side!

Being an engineer is not a state of mind, nor a level of consciousness, nor a wet dream. Being an engineer is a very specific degree you get once you complete an engineering career. It's a piece of paper, that says "Hey you! You're a freaking engineer, whether you know what it means or not." I would be really surprised if the real engineers in this forum were more than 10% of the member base.

I call BS on that, and I have the degree and plan on taking the PE in the fall. Engineer can be a degree or job function. It is somebody who engineers things. I work with an engineer who's degree is in PE (and not the not petroleum engineering kind). I'll leave that attitude for other trades and union workers. "You can't do that, that's not your job..."

I would say that a thread like this has a sampling bias. Put up a, "What's your occupation, xxxx or other," and it will certainly skew things because all the xxxxers will chime in.

sure.. lol BSME here... plus MS (in something)....

technically you don't need to have an engineering degree to take the PE, but you have to prove that you worked in a specific area for so many years... i still have to take my FE exam... so that i can later take my PE

I call BS on that, and I have the degree and plan on taking the PE in the fall. Engineer can be a degree or job function. It is somebody who engineers things. I work with an engineer who's degree is in PE (and not the not petroleum engineering kind). I'll leave that attitude for other trades and union workers. "You can't do that, that's not your job..."

I would say that a thread like this has a sampling bias. Put up a, "What's your occupation, xxxx or other," and it will certainly skew things because all the xxxxers will chime in.

I disagree.
"Engineer" implies a specific level of training in a given profession. True, the guy that drives a train is called an "engineer", regardless of him holding a title, or even having finished school. But I don't think that's what the OP had in mind when he started the thread.
You can "feel" like an engineer. I can "feel" like a unicorn. That means nothing if we're not.
It's not about being able to do something or not. I'm an electronics technician. Out of my own experience, I have met very few electronics engineers that could compete with me, knowledge wise. I even met one who didn't know how to read a resistor. But when push comes to shove, if we both go apply for an engineer position, he will get it, not me. And those few engineers who really knew their stuff, could run circles around me, any day of the week.

This poll could've been more accurate if the title had been something like "Do you have an actual engineering degree, or not?". But then again, this is the Internet. It's easy to be an expert, when you don't need to back up your claims.

don't mind inodoro, he's apparently still mad about the wire splicing thread...

why did this poll become and argument anyway?

:D:D You son of a...:D:D

I don't see it as an argument. I think, more or less, we all agree about the poll numbers being inaccurate.

really? an internet poll, titled "What's your occupation?", that lists only two options, is open to anonymous submissions, is inaccurate!??

GOOD GOD MAN! how is my company going to do market research now!??!

The poll is fine, it just doesn't imply that 40% of members of this site are engineers. It implies that 40% of the people who choose to vote in a poll asking if they are an engineer or not voted that they were an engineer.

I would think even an engineer could see that. :p

Not trying to fuel an argument but according to the "Texas Engineering Practice Act and Rules Concerning the Practice of Engineering and Professional Engineering Licensure" which I have to abide by:

§ 1001.301. License Required
(a) A person may not engage in the practice of engineering unless the person holds a license issued under this chapter.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), a person may not, unless the person holds a license issued under this chapter, directly or indirectly
use or cause to be used as a professional, business, or commercial identification, title, name, representation, claim, asset, or means of
advantage or benefit any of, or a variation or abbreviation of, the following terms:
(1) “engineer”;
(2) “professional engineer”;
(3) “licensed engineer”;
(4) “registered engineer”;
(5) “registered professional engineer”;
(6) “licensed professional engineer”; or
(7) “engineered.”
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (f), a person may not directly or indirectly use or cause to be used an abbreviation, word, symbol,
slogan, or sign that tends or is likely to create an impression with the public that the person is qualified or authorized to engage in the
practice of engineering unless the person holds a license and is practicing under this chapter.
(d) A person may not receive any fee or compensation or the promise of any fee or compensation for engaging in the practice of
engineering unless the person holds a license issued under this chapter.
(e) A person, sole proprietorship, firm, partnership, association, or corporation that engages in or offers or attempts to engage in conduct
described by this section is conclusively presumed to be engaged in the practice of engineering.
(f) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this chapter, a regular employee of a business entity who is engaged in engineering activities
but is exempt from the licensing requirements of this chapter under Sections 1001.057 or 1001.058 is not prohibited from using the term
“engineer” on a business card, cover letter, or other form of correspondence that is made available to the public if the person does not:
(1) offer to the public to perform engineering services; or
(2) use the title in any context outside the scope of the exemption in a manner that represents an ability or willingness to perform
engineering services or make an engineering judgment requiring a licensed professional engineer.
(g) Subsection (f) does not authorize a person to use a term listed in Subsections (b)(2)-(6) or a variation or abbreviation of one of those
terms

Not an engineer of any sort but that's who I work for - Environmental/civil engineers are who give me the paycheck to let me join this hobby

Paramedic and musician with absolutely zero engineering experience. I do cook however, but mostly I just love good craft beer and wanted to make it myself.

No doubt it is skewed. However, I challenge anyone do the same poll with another profession and get 400+ to say yes.

No doubt it is skewed. However, I challenge anyone do the same poll with another profession and get 400+ to say yes.

That's easy. Open a poll asking "Are you a homebrewer?", and I can guarantee you far more than 400. :D

i'm gonna open a poll that asks,

"Are you pissed off that you don't have an electrical engineering degree AND you don't know the proper way to splice a wire?"

i wonder how many responses i'll get....

tee hee!!!

Musician here ;) Probably explains why my approach to brewing is less scientific and more artistic.

Not trying to fuel an argument but according to the "Texas Engineering Practice Act and Rules Concerning the Practice of Engineering and Professional Engineering Licensure" which I have to abide by:

I will add more fuel, i'm a PE in FL and our practice act / rules state about the same.

"Are you pissed off that you don't have an electrical engineering degree AND you don't know the proper way to splice a wire?"

tee hee!!!

You mean to tell me this is is the incorrect way..? :mug:

ElectricalWork.jpg

tee hee!!!

You mean to tell me this is is the incorrect way..? :mug:

ElectricalWork.jpg

It's perfect! You just need to wrap it up with some tape...:D:rockin:

i'm a mech eng, so i don't care what you guys do.

altho once i did have to explain ohm's law to a EE who was in his 40's.

So are you saying you need your PE to call yourself an engineer in TX. So be it. Most states you can register as a PE w/o ABET 4yr engineering degree. So it doesn't really add much against my inclusion arguement. In CO you can call yourself an engineer. It is unlawful to present yourself as a "professional engineer" unless you are licensed as such. Words such as engineer, engineering, engineered, etc. are not regulated.

What do you call someone that did a 4 year ABET and practices engineering type functions but does not have a PE? (that's me). I guess an engineering intern? I would have to change my vote I guess. Registered PE's only!

what about people with your FE? i thought you needed to have your FE for like 4-5 years (and in practice) before you can take your PE exam?

thank god my degree is ABET certified...

I've got my BSME from Tennessee Technological University back in '07. I think us engineering types just like to tinker with everything, so this hobby gives us so many variables to mess with. Like a little kid put in front of a huge switchboard full of buttons and told to go wild and push whatever we want.

So are you saying you need your PE to call yourself an engineer in TX. So be it. Most states you can register as a PE w/o ABET 4yr engineering degree.

Same in Texas. If you receive approval to take the exam and pass, then you are a "engineer".

§133.33 Proof of Educational Qualifications–Non-Accredited/Non-Approved Programs
(a) An applicant for licensure who has graduated from a program other than one in which the undergraduate or graduate degree in the same
discipline has been accredited or approved by any of the organizations identified in §133.31(a)(1)(A) or (a)(2)(A) of this chapter (relating
to Educational Requirements for Applicants) shall furnish both an official transcript and an evaluation for each degree to be relied upon to
meet the educational requirements of licensure as a professional engineer or certification as an engineer-in-training. Official transcripts
shall include either grades or mark sheets and proof that the degree was conferred. In addition to providing a transcript reflecting the
degree(s) earned by an applicant, the applicant shall also provide an official transcript from each school from which more than 15 semester
hours were earned towards the degree.
(1) The applicant shall ensure that the required transcript(s) are forwarded from the officially recognized and approved
institutional authority of records (e.g., registrar or other authority) of the institution from which the applicant graduated directly
to a commercial degree evaluation service approved by the board. The applicant is responsible for ordering and paying for all
such transcripts and evaluations. Additional academic information, including but not limited to grades and transfer credit, shall be
submitted to the board at the request of the executive director.
(2) The degree evaluation must:
(A) validate the authenticity of the transcript, diploma, and any other supporting documentation;
(B) include a detailed, course-by-course evaluation of courses, including semester hours and grades;
(C) a comparison of the applicant's degree program to criteria of ABET applicable to the applicant's year of graduation;
and a determination whether the curriculum of the degree program being evaluated meets the applicable criteria;
(D) establish that the applicant has received a conferred degree which is equivalent to a degree from a United States
educational institution; and
(E) be sent by the commercial evaluation service directly to the board, accompanied by the applicant's official transcript
or a copy of the transcript verified by the commercial evaluation service.(b) Upon written request by an applicant provided at the time of application, a commercial degree evaluation of a program other than one
accredited or approved by the EAC/ABET or the TAC/ABET may be waived by the executive director if:
(1) sufficient resources are available for the board to evaluate it; or
(2) the degree program contains curricula that are deemed by the executive director to not be an integral part of the applicant's
engineering education.
(c) Upon receipt or waiver of a commercial degree evaluation, the executive director shall evaluate, under the standards of
§133.31(a)(1)(C) or (a)(2)(B) of this chapter (relating to Educational Requirements for Applicants), the curricula of a degree program that
has not been accredited or approved by any of the organizations identified in §133.31 (a)(1)(A) or (a)(2)(A) of this chapter.
(d) If a transcript cannot be transmitted directly to the evaluation service from the issuing institution, the executive director may, at his or
her discretion, approve an alternative method of evaluating the applicant's educational qualifications, upon written request from the
applicant explaining why the transcript cannot be directly transmitted from the issuing institution. An alternative method approved by the
executive director may include validation of transcript(s) in the applicant's possession through a commercial evaluation service approved
by the board. In the event the executive director approves an alternative method such as validation of a transcript in the applicant's
possession by an evaluation service, the evaluation service shall forward to the board the evaluation and all documentation provided by the
applicant.
(e) The board will not accept a commercial evaluation of a degree in lieu of an official transcript or a validated transcript that was in the
applicant's possession. An official transcript or validated transcript must be submitted to complete the application.
(f) An applicant seeking an educational credential evaluation under this section but wishing to qualify for licensure only under
§133.31(a)(2)(B) of this section is exempt from the evaluation requirement in subsection (a)(2)(C) of this section.

What do you call someone that did a 4 year ABET and practices engineering type functions but does not have a PE? (that's me). I guess an engineering intern? I would have to change my vote I guess. Registered PE's only!

Did that person pass the fundamentals of engineering exam? If so, that person would be called "graduate engineer".

Back