In need of a good thermometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I was using a digital oil/candy thermometer that we had already to monitor temps during steeping and mashing. However, it fell into the wort, got wet, and died. Crap.

Anyway, I'm looking for another digital thermometer, preferably one that has a long probe so that I don't have to hang the entire thermometer into the kettle with string. Anyone have any suggestions? I found one (based on a pic I saw of someone doing a mashin the gallery) called "trutemp". It's a meat thermometer, and it's built so that the unit itself sits outside the pot/oven, and the probe is on a long wire that can be stuck into meat, or, in this case, hung in the kettle. Does anyone know if it's a good unit for mashing and steeping? Or do you have a better one...one that's not too expensive (the trutemp is $15). Thanks!

Those digital, remote probe meat thermometer work quite well. I have the Pyrex Professional model. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $20.

One work of caution though, the braided steel sheathed cord and the connection were the cord attaches to the probe cannot get wet. Only stick about half of the probe into the wort, and don't get the cord wet when you clean the probe. If you do get it wet the readings will be off. It won't be ruined necessarily though. I had this happen, but I just put the entire probe/cord into a 350˚F oven for about 30 minutes to thoroughly dry it out and it read correct again.

John

johnsma22 said:
Those digital, remote probe meat thermometer work quite well. I have the Pyrex Professional model. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $20.

One work of caution though, the braided steel sheathed cord and the connection were the cord attaches to the probe cannot get wet. Only stick about half of the probe into the wort, and don't get the cord wet when you clean the probe. If you do get it wet the readings will be off. It won't be ruined necessarily though. I had this happen, but I just put the entire probe/cord into a 350˚F oven for about 30 minutes to thoroughly dry it out and it read correct again.

John

i was going to reply but this said exactly what i would have..

here is a picture of it in "action"
3522-IM000666.JPG

I use this one. The Micromatic page says it's only good to 120 F, but the packaging says it's good up to 220 F. Works well, but it's hard to suspend in a pot, so I just take sample readings.

JE-3200.jpg

...and my wife insists that I broke the Pampered Chef model mentioned above...the probe is baking as we speak...I hope that fixes it!

johnsma22 said:

John

"sigh" I wish I know this 3 weeks ago. Mine went haywire and I ended up throwing it out.

wstein said:
"sigh" I wish I know this 3 weeks ago. Mine went haywire and I ended up throwing it out.

I almost threw mine out as well, but I did a quick Google search and by chance found a thread on a cooking forum where they were discussing this, and someone posted the solution.

John

It's been 30 minutes (well, more like an hour...good thing I was just baking metal...mostly), and the damn thing works perfectly again! Awesome, thanks for the advice!

What about Laser?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for cooking anyway, any experience with them?

I think this warrants a new thread.

Back