How long will my starter last in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
ok, so I made a starter about 5 days ago. After 3 days, when it had fermented out, I put it in the fridge so I could pour off the top. Problem is I wasnt able to brew when I wanted to. Its been in the fridge now for 3 days. Will it still be ok tomorrow for my brew day?

Yeah, should be just fine. I've left yeast cakes in the fridge for a week or more before pitching, and still had violent takeoff! Just make sure you take the starter out of the fridge about 4 hours before you pitch, in order to bring it up to room temp.

You might also consider tempering the starter by adding a bit of your freshly cooled wort to the starter flask, giving it a good shake, and allowing the trub to settle before pitching the top of the slurry. That way you've re-roused the yeast, as well as brought the temperature up closer to what they'll be swimming in when they hit the wort.

Back