BeerSmith works in Ubuntu!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Well, I know it's a windows program, but BeerSmith works great in Ubuntu Linux....all you need to do is install Wine. Wine, for those of you guys who don't use Linux is a program that allows you to run Windows-only programs on Linux. I'm pretty stoked, and it was an easy install:

1. Go to the System Menu -> Administration -> Click on Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click the search button, and type "wine" in the box and hit the Search button
3. Check the box next to "wine" (note: not wine-dev, or anything else)
4. Answer yes to all following questions
5. Allow the Wine installation to complete.
6. Download the BeerSmith program, and choose Wine as the program to open it with.
7. Allow the BeerSmith program to install
8. Run the BeerSmith program!

Now, there is a bit of configuration you can do with Wine to make it look nicer, but I was able to run BeerSmith without any messing with it. Cool!

Wow! I didn't even know wine still existed. Back when linux was relatively new I had to compile wine manually on slackware linux in order to use it. It could barely run solitaire!

I thought it was long dead. I usually run VMWare server in linux and load up windows xp if I want to run windows apps. Win4Lin is another virtual emulator but it's not free like VMWare server.

I've never had a problem with BeerSmith under Wine. To overcome the no printing from Wine issue, export your recipes to HTML, then print from a web browser.

I tried it under wine for a bit, and we really confused as how to build a recipe. Which is weird because more software is fairly intuitive to me. So I never bought it and stuck with qbrew, but it really needs the boil off rate and mash volume calculators, which beersmith has of coarse.

I just converted to Ubuntu from Vista and love it! I was very happy to see that beersmith works. This is the only windows application I have moved over to linux as it is the only important program I have. Thanks BeerSmith!

By the way, I have found, beersmith also works by copying it to a flashdrive. Plug it into any PC USB port and run the exe, you have your recipes, etc. Very handy when brewing with friends and taking a recipe with you.

Well, I know it's a windows program, but BeerSmith works great in Ubuntu Linux....all you need to do is install Wine. Wine, for those of you guys who don't use Linux is a program that allows you to run Windows-only programs on Linux. I'm pretty stoked, and it was an easy install:

1. Go to the System Menu -> Administration -> Click on Synaptic Package Manager
2. Click the search button, and type "wine" in the box and hit the Search button
3. Check the box next to "wine" (note: not wine-dev, or anything else)
4. Answer yes to all following questions
5. Allow the Wine installation to complete.
6. Download the BeerSmith program, and choose Wine as the program to open it with.
7. Allow the BeerSmith program to install
8. Run the BeerSmith program!

Now, there is a bit of configuration you can do with Wine to make it look nicer, but I was able to run BeerSmith without any messing with it. Cool!

Hell, i didnt even need to tell wine to open exe files, it just took off and ran it :D thanks a million

I just converted to Ubuntu from Vista and love it! I was very happy to see that beersmith works. This is the only windows application I have moved over to linux as it is the only important program I have. Thanks BeerSmith!

By the way, I have found, beersmith also works by copying it to a flashdrive. Plug it into any PC USB port and run the exe, you have your recipes, etc. Very handy when brewing with friends and taking a recipe with you.

Makes sense the program runs from a flash drive, but it never occurred to me. How very cool. Going onto my ubiquitous flash drive right now.

I know it's an old thread, but I was glad to find this info. I recently revived an old PC in my shop/brewery in part by putting Ubuntu Linux on it. I had replaced the motherboard, and wasn't about to buy a new copy of Windows to replace one I had already purchased. The Ubuntu installation was a breeze, but I couldn't get Beersmith to run on this machine until I found this thread. The instructions still work well, as does Beersmith now. Thanks!

Installation went fine... but I have another problem... Once Beersmith runs, I cannot do ANYTHING in it... Strange, but I cannot click on recipes (or anything for that matter) It doesn't change screens. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: NEVERMIND ... Popup actually popped-under

And now you guys brew beer thru wine.
(bad joke I know)
I use promash thru wine and I do not have printing issue.
Thanks for the post.

I read on some posts on the Beersmith forum that they are working the kinks out of a GTK version (which is due to be the next revision) of beersmith that will be portable to other platforms aside from windows. Can't wait I enjoy using Beersmith and I use it in wine without problems.

I'd like it if they built a web-based version. I have it installed on 3 different computers, and it's a PITA to keep all of them up to date with all my recipes. It would be nice to have the data kept in a central location...hey maybe they could even host it.

I'd like it if they built a web-based version. I have it installed on 3 different computers, and it's a PITA to keep all of them up to date with all my recipes. It would be nice to have the data kept in a central location...hey maybe they could even host it.
One of "Cloud" storage provider is BropBox:
https://www.dropbox.com/
They have clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux. When you install the client software it will add another folder to your file system.
Whatever you put in this folder will get copied to the DropBox server.

So install DropBox on all of your 3 computers and point your Recipes directory(or whatever else you want to synchronize) to DropBox folder on all 3 computers and you are set.

Someone just wrote little how to:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/sync-beersmith-multiple-computers-151891/

Dropbox basic is free. And if you're like me, I waste a bunch of time at work on my laptop playing with Beersmith. It'd be nice if I could use the same recipes that I was playing with the night before at home.

Back